Exploring the Relationship Between Line Integrals and Mass in Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses how the function f(x,y) can represent the density of a semicircular wire and how taking a line integral of a curve and f(x,y) can determine the mass of the wire. However, there is confusion about how the mass would change if the wire is moved around the xy axis. The expert summarizer explains that the weight is not linked to the curve, but rather to the density defined by f(x,y). Therefore, if the values of f(x,y) change, the weight will also change.
mrcleanhands
Wasn't sure which section to put this q in.

Just reading now that f(x,y) can represent the density of a semicircular wire and so if you take a line integral of some curve C and f(x,y) you can find the mass of the wire... makes sense.

What I don't get is that if I then move the wire around the xy axis it's mass will change. What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
f(x,y) gives you a value of density for all points in the x-y plane. Taking a line integral through that plane is like 'cutting out' a wire from that density plane.

Unless f(x,y) is constant, there is no reason to assume that one wire cut out would be the same density as another.

I think what you're not realizing is that the weight isn't linked to C.

How is weight not linked to C? to find weight/mass you must take a line integral through that plane, and that line integral is C.

What I was confused about is if I take a 3cm wire and position it from (0,0) to (0,3) and then I move it to some other place in the xy plane suddenly it's weight should change right? which is what doesn't make sense to me...

Why would it change? If you move it over then you can simply make a coordinate transformation that brings it back to the original coordinates while leaving the integral unchanged. The coordinate system is simply a computational tool, it won't change the physical amount of mass in the ring.

Because when you take a line integral from (0,0) to (0,3) in a density field z = f(x,y) you're not just finding out what the mass of a 3 cm wire is you're finding out what the mass of a 3 cm wire is when density is defined by z = f(x,y).

In your mind you're thinking that the 3 cm wire already has a predefined mass, and that we use the line integral to find it. Based off of that, you would think that if you moved this wire to another place in the plane that the line integral should evaluate the same because the weight of the wire isn't changing.

But weight is not predetermined without f(x,y) and C. The question is not "what does a 3 cm wire weigh...lets use a line integral to find out", it is "what does a 3 cm wire weigh when every point has density based off of f(x,y)". In the latter case, if the values of f(x,y) change then of course the weight added up with change.

What is a line integral in physics?

A line integral in physics is a mathematical tool used to calculate the total value of a physical quantity along a specific path or curve. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the quantity being integrated.

How is a line integral different from a regular integral?

A line integral is different from a regular integral in that it is calculated along a specific path or curve rather than over a single variable. It also takes into account the direction of the quantity being integrated, whereas a regular integral does not.

What are some common applications of line integrals in physics?

Some common applications of line integrals in physics include calculating the work done by a force along a path, finding the electric field or magnetic field along a curve, and determining the flux of a vector field through a surface.

What is the equation for a line integral in physics?

The equation for a line integral in physics is ∫C F(x,y) ds = ∫ab F(x(t),y(t)) √(x'(t)^2 + y'(t)^2) dt, where C is the curve being integrated along, F is the function being integrated, and ds represents a small segment of the curve.

How can line integrals be used to solve real-world problems?

Line integrals can be used to solve real-world problems by providing a way to calculate the total value of a physical quantity along a specific path or curve. This is useful in many fields of physics, including mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics.