1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line integrals

1. May 13, 2008 #1

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate the line integral by two methods: (a) directly and (b) using Green's Theorem. [tex]\oint_C {xy^2 \,dx\, + \,x^3 \,dy} [/tex]. C is the rectangle with vertices (0,0), (2,0), (2,3) and (0,3).

3. The attempt at a solution
    I get the correct answer using Green's theorem. But I don't know how to do the "directly" method. I came up with 4 parametric equations, one for each line of the rectangle. Let's look at the first one for the line (0,0) - (2,0): x=t, y=0, t goes between 0 and 2.

[tex]\oint_C {xy^2 \,dx\, + \,x^3 \,dy} = \int\limits_0^2 {t\left( 0 \right)^2 \,\, + \,t^3 \,dt} = \int\limits_0^2 {t^3 \,dt} = \left[ {\frac{{t^4 }}{4}} \right]_0^2 = \left( {\frac{{2^4 }}{4}} \right) - \left( {\frac{{0^4 }}{4}} \right) = \frac{{16}}{4} = 4[/tex].

I'm pretty sure I did this step wrong. How do I go from the C integral to the 2-0 integral?

Thanks

2. Relevant equations
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2008 #2

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Think of [tex] {xy^2 \,dx\, + \,x^3 \,dy} [/tex] as the dot product of the vectors [tex](dx,dy)[/tex] and [tex](xy^2, x^3) [/tex]. On the x axis, the x component is zero, so the integral from (0,0) to (0,2) should be zero.

4. May 13, 2008 #3

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

sorry, I still don't understand. How do I get from dx+dy to dt?

5. May 13, 2008 #4

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your line is along the x axis so dy is zero for that section of the rectangle!

6. May 13, 2008 #5

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So you have paremerised the line,

[tex] x = t \Rightarrow \frac{dx}{dt} = 1 \Rightarrow dx = dx[/tex]

[tex]y = 0 \Rightarrow dy = 0[/tex]

Do you follow?

7. May 13, 2008 #6

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, I think I'm getting it now. So in the next line segment (the right vertical one), dx is zero, so

[tex]\oint_C {xy^2 \,dx\, + \,x^3 \,dy} = \int\limits_0^3 {2t^2 \left( 0 \right)\, + \,2^3 \,dt} = \int\limits_0^3 {8\,dt} = \left[ {8t} \right]_0^3 = 24[/tex]

8. May 13, 2008 #7

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looks good to me :approve:.

Although from a formalism point of view, I will point out that it isn't technically correct to say that your path integral is equal to the integral over this segment, but I know what you mean.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?