Line Integral Around Triangle: Curl or Not?

In summary, The conversation discusses the calculation of a line integral without parameterizing the path. It is suggested to use Green's theorem, but it is unsure if it applies to a triangle. One person suggests using the fundamental theorem of calculus, while another suggests summing up the 3 separate line integrals of the triangle.
mathwizeguy

Homework Statement

Without parameterizing the path, determine what the value of the line integral (integral of F dot dr) is, if C is the closed, oriented path that travels around the triangle with vertices (0,0) (5,2), and (-3,6) and F=yi + xj

Homework Equations

Curl possiblY?

The Attempt at a Solution

When i attempted this problem i thought i could calculate the line intergral using greens thm but i think it only applies to curves and this is a triangle. does it apply?

Physics news on Phys.org
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but Del(xy)=(y,x). Thus the line integral = 10 - 0 + -18-10 +0 +18=0 by the fundamental theorem.

id love to correct you but I am somewhat stumped as to what you mean.\

I am only aware of using the ftc of calculus to caluclate a line intergral with two points but if it works this way then awesome.

Assuming my method was right, you can just sum the 3 separate line integrals which make up the triangle. After all, a line integral is just the work to go from point a to b, so its like we are summing up joules of energy.

1. What is a line integral around a triangle?

A line integral around a triangle is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus to calculate the total amount of some quantity (such as force or work) that is flowing or being accumulated along a specific path around a triangular region.

2. How is a line integral around a triangle different from a regular line integral?

A line integral around a triangle is different from a regular line integral in that it follows a specific path around a triangular region, whereas a regular line integral can follow any arbitrary path. Additionally, the calculation for a line integral around a triangle involves breaking the triangle into smaller line segments and summing the individual line integrals along each segment.

3. What is the significance of calculating the curl of a line integral around a triangle?

The curl of a line integral around a triangle is a measure of the circulation or rotation of a vector field around the triangle. It can tell us if there is a net circulation or rotation of the vector field around the triangle, and can be used to determine if the vector field is conservative or not.

4. How is the curl of a line integral around a triangle calculated?

The curl of a line integral around a triangle is calculated using the Green's theorem, which relates the line integral to a double integral over the region enclosed by the triangle. The double integral is then simplified using the divergence theorem, resulting in a simpler calculation for the curl.

5. What are some real-life applications of line integrals around a triangle?

Line integrals around triangles have many applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating the work done by a force on an object moving along a triangular path, or determining the flow of a fluid around a triangular obstacle. They are also used in fluid dynamics to analyze the circulation of air around airplane wings and the flow of water in river bends.