1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line Integrals

1. Nov 1, 2014 #1
    Hi everyone. I ran into a minor problem while trying to solve a problem on line integral. I suspect this question to be very straight-forward as it gave the parametric equations of the curve C. However, I am still unable to get the answer for some reason. May I have someone to point out where I went wrong? Thanks!

Question:

Ah, the image didn't get uploaded.. Please refer to the attached image. Thanks! The question in question is Q1(a).

My attempt:

Since x = t2 + 1 and y = t3+t , we have x(t) and y(t). Following on, I went one to apply the formula, ∫ F⋅ dr = ∫ f(x(t), y(t))||r'(t)|| dt.

I had r(t) as (t2 + 1) i + (t3+t) j. And I have r'(t) = (2t) i + (3t2 + 1) j, and ||r'(t)|| = √ (9t2 + 1)(t2 + 1).

Since the range of t is 0 ≤ t ≤ 1, I integrated over this range and my calculator returned 3.73 as the answer, but the answer in my answer key wrote 6. May I know where I had gone wrong? Thanks! :D

<In case the picture cannot be seen, I have uploaded it here.> Thanks again!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your r'(t) looks fine, but |r'(t)| doesn't.

4. Nov 1, 2014 #3

td21

Gold Member

Can you show me your work on the finding the gradient of f?

5. Nov 1, 2014 #4
    To Mark44: Oh dear. I must have been hallucinating when doing Math at nearly 3am. T_T Sorry. ||r'(t)|| is √(t^2 + (1/9))(t^2 + 1).

To td21: How do I find the gradient of f? Do I just use the formula Gradient = (y2-y1)/(x2-x1)?

6. Nov 1, 2014 #5
    However, my calculator returned 1.24 as the answer.. :/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted