Find Line Intersection: Symmetric Equations

In summary, the problem involves finding symmetric equations of a line passing through the point (0,1,2) and intersecting two other lines with equations r = (0, 0, 2) + t(1, 1, 1) and r = (0, -3, 0) + s(-2, 1, 3). The solution is x/2 = (y-1)/-1 = (z-2)/-2. The individual attempted solutions involved finding intersection points and slopes, but ultimately resulted in equations with too many variables.
Parth Dave
Find symmetric equations of the line that passes through the point (0,1,2) and meets each of the lines x = y = z + 2 and x/-2 = (y+3)/1 = z/3.

Those equations can be written as:
r = (0, 0, 2) + t(1, 1, 1)
r = (0, -3, 0) + s(-2, 1, 3)

Now, I can't seem to find any direction to go with this. I tried a whole lot of different things that all eventually led nowhere. First, I gave co-ordinates to the intersection points and then i created to slopes in between these points. But i eventually came up with equations with like 8 variables in them so I couldn't figure that one out. Can someone lead me in some sort of direction? Any would would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Btw, i do have the solution,

x/2 = (y-1)/-1 = (z-2)/-2

if anyone is curious.

One possible approach to finding the intersection point of these two lines is to set up a system of equations using the symmetric equations. Since the point (0,1,2) lies on the line with equation r = (0, 0, 2) + t(1, 1, 1), we can substitute these values into the equation for the line and solve for t. This will give us the value of t at the point of intersection.

Similarly, we can substitute the coordinates of the point (0,1,2) into the equation for the second line and solve for s. This will give us the value of s at the point of intersection. Once we have both t and s, we can substitute these values back into the equations for the lines to find the coordinates of the intersection point.

Another approach could be to use vector equations to find the intersection point. We can represent each line as a vector equation and then set them equal to each other. This will give us a system of equations that we can solve for the coordinates of the intersection point.

In either case, it may be helpful to draw a diagram or visualize the lines in 3D space to get a better understanding of their relationship and how they intersect. Keep in mind that there may be multiple points of intersection or no intersection at all, so it is important to carefully check your solutions.

1. What are symmetric equations?

Symmetric equations are a way of representing lines in three-dimensional space using two equations that are symmetrical in x, y, and z. They are often used to find the intersection point of two lines.

2. How do you find the intersection point of two lines using symmetric equations?

To find the intersection point of two lines using symmetric equations, you first set the two equations equal to each other. Then, solve the resulting system of equations to find the values of x, y, and z that satisfy both equations. These values represent the coordinates of the intersection point.

3. Can symmetric equations be used to find the intersection of more than two lines?

Yes, symmetric equations can be used to find the intersection point of any number of lines in three-dimensional space. However, the process becomes more complex as the number of lines increases.

4. What is the significance of the intersection point found using symmetric equations?

The intersection point found using symmetric equations represents the point where the two lines intersect in three-dimensional space. This point can be used in various applications, such as determining the location of an object or calculating the angle between the two lines.

5. Are there any limitations to using symmetric equations to find line intersections?

One limitation of using symmetric equations is that they can only be used to find the intersection point of lines in three-dimensional space. They cannot be used for finding the intersection of curves or surfaces. Additionally, the process can become more complex with a larger number of lines.