1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line normal to a circle

1. May 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A variable line ax+by+c=0, where a,b,c are in A.P (arithmetic progression), is normal to a circle ##(x-\alpha)^2+(y-\beta)^2=\gamma##, which is orthogonal to circle ##x^2+y^2-4x-4y-1=0##. The value of ##\alpha+\beta+\gamma## is equal to
    A)3
    B)5
    C)10
    D)7

2. Relevant equations
    Condition for orthogonality of two circle: ##2g_1g_2+2f_1f_2=c_1+c_2##

3. The attempt at a solution
    From the above condition for orthogonality: ##4\alpha+4\beta=\alpha^2+\beta^2-\gamma-1##

Since the line is normal to the circle, it passes through the centre of circle i.e. ##a\alpha+b\beta+c=0##. What should I do next? :confused:

I have 2b=a+c but where should I use this?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2013 #2
    Anyone?

4. May 9, 2013 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't see that you have used the given information that a, b, and c are in arithmetic progression.

5. May 9, 2013 #4
    I know and that's my question. Where am I supposed to use this? Replace c with 2b-a?

6. May 9, 2013 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Assuming the common difference to be d, you have b = a + d, and c = a + 2d. This makes your line equation
    ax + (a + d) y + a + 2d = 0.

Solve for y to get y = -a/(a + d) * x + (-a - 2d)/(a + d). This form gives you the slope of the line very easily.

7. May 9, 2013 #6
    I am still a bit lost. Why do we even need the slope here? :confused:

8. May 10, 2013 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't believe there's enough information here. You have 3 equations and 6 unknowns. Now, it could just happen that the one variable of interest is determinable, but I don't see it. Substitute for γ using γ = Z - α-β, substitute for c using c = 2b-a. That gets you to two equations and 5 unknowns. You can use one equation to eliminate one more unknown, and hope that some huge magic cancellation occurs to eliminate 3 more (all except Z), but it doesn't.

9. May 10, 2013 #8
    This is from my test paper and I don't think that it requires too much time solving questions. But there is no guarantee that the question is correct.
    I have the solution booklet too, I don't see from where did they get the values of ##\alpha## and ##\beta##.

Solution:
    (A part of the solution is on the different page so I am writing down the equations from the first page and attaching the rest of the steps.)
    ##ax+by+c=0##
    ##ax-2b+c=0##
    ##(1,-2)## is the centre of cricle
    attachment.php?attachmentid=58615&stc=1&d=1368169925.jpg

Attached Files:

10. May 10, 2013 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Based on that, I think I've figured it out. The question ought to read:
    I suppose that's what they meant by 'variable' line, but it should have been made much clearer.
    All such lines pass through the point (1, -2),

11. May 10, 2013 #10
    That means I can assume any line and continue with that?

How did the solution even come up with the values of ##\alpha## and ##\beta##?

12. May 10, 2013 #11

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No - ALL lines of the form ax+by+c=0, where a,b,c are in arithmetic progression. That fixes where the centre of the circle must be; it must be a point that all such lines go through.

13. May 11, 2013 #12
    Thanks haruspex! :smile:

I assumed two equations, i.e ##x+2y+3=0## and ##y+2=0##, this gave me ##\alpha## and ##\beta##. I substituted them in the equation for orthogonality and found gamma.

Thank you! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted