1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line of charge

1. Jan 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[​IMG]

A thin rod of length L with total charge Q. Find an expression for the electric field E at distance x from the end of the rod. Give your answer in component form.

2. Relevant equations

Well this isn't a infinite line of charge so this formula should work:

E = [tex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex][tex]\frac{Q}{r\sqrt{r^{2} + (\frac{L}{2})^{2}}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I will have to integrate because I cannot cancel components because there is no symmetry in the diagram all electric fields will point in the positive x, negative y direction.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

:confused: Where did this formula come from?

Yes, you'll have to integrate. Hint: Break the line charge into small elements of length dy.

4. Jan 18, 2009 #3
    I got that formula from and example in my physics book it is the result after integrating this formula:

(Ei)x = Eicos[tex]\theta[/tex]i = [tex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex][tex]\frac{\Delta Q}{r_{i}^{2}}[/tex]cos[tex]\theta[/tex]i

I think that formula is for a point that bisects the rod only.

5. Jan 18, 2009 #4

Doc Al

Set up the integral and derive your own formula.

6. Jan 18, 2009 #5
    Ok here is what I got for the x component:

(Ei)x = Eicos[tex]\theta[/tex]i = [tex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex][tex]\frac{\Delta Q}{r_{i}^{2}}[/tex]cos[tex]\theta[/tex]i

r = [tex]\sqrt{y_{i}^{2} + x^{2}}[/tex]

cos[tex]\theta[/tex]i = [tex]\frac{x}{\sqrt{y_{i}^{2} + x^{2}}}[/tex]

(Ei)x = [tex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex][tex]\frac{\Delta Q}{y_{i}^{2} + x^{2}}[/tex][tex]\frac{x}{\sqrt{y_{i}^{2} + x^{2}}}[/tex]

= [tex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex][tex]\frac{x\Delta Q}{(y_{i}^{2} + x^{2})^{3/2}}[/tex]

Ex = [tex]\sum^{N}_{i = 1}[/tex](Ei)x = [tex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex][tex]\sum^{N}_{i = 1}[/tex][tex]\frac{x\Delta Q}{(y_{i}^{2} + x^{2})^{3/2}}[/tex]

[tex]\Delta Q[/tex] = [tex]\lambda\Delta y[/tex] = ([tex]\frac{Q}{L}[/tex])[tex]\Delta y[/tex]

Ex = [tex]\frac{\frac{Q}{L}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex][tex]\sum^{N}_{i = 1}[/tex][tex]\frac{x\Delta y}{(y_{i}^{2} + x^{2})^{3/2}}[/tex]

= [tex]\frac{\frac{Q}{L}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex][tex]\int_{0}^{L}[/tex][tex]\frac{xdy}{(y^{2} + x^{2})^{3/2}}[/tex]

= [tex]\frac{\frac{Q}{L}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex][tex]\frac{y}{x\sqrt{y^{2} + x^{2}}}[/tex][tex]\left|_{0}^{L}[/tex]

= [tex]\frac{\frac{Q}{L}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex][tex]\left[\frac{L}{x\sqrt{L^{2} + x^{2}}} - \frac{0}{x\sqrt{0^{2} + x^{2}}}\right][/tex]

= [tex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex][tex]\frac{Q}{x\sqrt{L^{2} + x^{2}}}[/tex]

7. Jan 18, 2009 #6

Doc Al

Excellent!

8. Jan 18, 2009 #7
    Ok here is what I got for the y component, I am not sure if this one is right:

(Ei)y = Eisin[tex]\theta[/tex]i = [tex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex][tex]\frac{\Delta Q}{r_{i}^{2}}[/tex]sin[tex]\theta[/tex]i

r = [tex]\sqrt{y_{i}^{2} + x^{2}}[/tex]

sin[tex]\theta[/tex]i = [tex]\frac{y_{i}}{\sqrt{y_{i}^{2} + x^{2}}}[/tex]

(Ei)y = [tex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex][tex]\frac{\Delta Q}{y_{i}^{2} + x^{2}}[/tex][tex]\frac{y_{i}}{\sqrt{y_{i}^{2} + x^{2}}}[/tex]

= [tex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex][tex]\frac{y_{i}\Delta Q}{(y_{i}^{2} + x^{2})^{3/2}}[/tex]

Ey = [tex]\sum^{N}_{i = 1}[/tex](Ei)y = [tex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex][tex]\sum^{N}_{i = 1}[/tex][tex]\frac{y_{i}\Delta Q}{(y_{i}^{2} + x^{2})^{3/2}}[/tex]

[tex]\Delta Q[/tex] = [tex]\lambda\Delta y[/tex] = ([tex]\frac{Q}{L}[/tex])[tex]\Delta y[/tex]

Ey = [tex]\frac{\frac{Q}{L}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex][tex]\sum^{N}_{i = 1}[/tex][tex]\frac{y_{i}\Delta y}{(y_{i}^{2} + x^{2})^{3/2}}[/tex]

= [tex]\frac{\frac{Q}{L}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex][tex]\int_{0}^{L}[/tex][tex]\frac{ydy}{(y^{2} + x^{2})^{3/2}}[/tex]

= [tex]\frac{\frac{Q}{L}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex][tex]\frac{y}{y\sqrt{y^{2} + x^{2}}}[/tex][tex]\left|_{0}^{L}[/tex]

= [tex]\frac{\frac{Q}{L}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex][tex]\left[\frac{L}{L\sqrt{L^{2} + x^{2}}} - \frac{0}{0\sqrt{0^{2} + x^{2}}}\right][/tex]

= [tex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex][tex]\frac{Q}{L\sqrt{L^{2} + x^{2}}}[/tex]

9. Jan 18, 2009 #8

Doc Al

Good.

Cancel those y's. (And be careful with the sign of the integral.)

10. Jan 18, 2009 #9
    Ok, I made the changes:

= -[tex]\frac{\frac{Q}{L}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{y^{2} + x^{2}}}[/tex][tex]\left|_{0}^{L}[/tex]

= -[tex]\frac{\frac{Q}{L}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex][tex]\left[\frac{1}{\sqrt{L^{2} + x^{2}}} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{0^{2} + x^{2}}}\right][/tex]

= -[tex]\frac{\frac{Q}{L}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex][tex]\left[\frac{1}{\sqrt{L^{2} + x^{2}}} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^{2}}}\right][/tex]

11. Jan 18, 2009 #10

Doc Al

That looks good. Move that outside minus sign inside. (Switch the order of subtraction in the brackets.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?