Understanding Resultant Force in Linear Motion: Exploring Two Common Questions

In summary, for linear motion, it is true that the body's displacement is in the direction of the resultant force. This is because, similar to circular motion, the point of tangency for linear motion is in the direction of motion. Additionally, in the case of a lawn mower being pushed horizontally, the vertical forces will zero out, but the normal force will increase due to Py, as explained by Newton's Third Law. The body's displacement will always be in the direction of Px, as the acceleration is always in the direction of the resultant force. This applies to all cases of linear motion, such as when a car brakes to a stop.
Miike012
For linear motion.. is it true that a body will point in the direction of the resultant force?

This seems true to me because the I know that in circular motion, the object will fly from the point of tangency when released.
And the point of tangency for linear motion is in the direction of the motion...

Is this correct?

2nd question:
I added a picture of a lawn mower being pushed by force (P) and moving horizontally.
How would the vertical forces zero out, would this mean that the normal force is not equal to the weight force?

Attachments

• Q.png
    Q.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 322
Physics news on Phys.org
The normal force simply increases due to Py--this makes sense by Newton's Third Law. If I push down hard on a table, there's an equal and opposite force (i.e. it "pushes" up) (unless I push so hard that it breaks). So from your equation, we have N = Py + w.

I don't really know what you mean by a body "pointing". Keep in mind though, for circular motion, the acceleration points towards the center of the circle.

I meant to say.. the body's displacement is in the direction of the resultant force...

Thus is moves in the direction of Px

Is my question still not making sense?

The acceleration is always in the direction of the resultant force. When a car brakes to a stop, what is the direction of the acceleration? The resultant force? The displacement?

1. What is a line of motion question?

A line of motion question is a type of scientific inquiry that involves analyzing the path or trajectory of a moving object or system.

2. How do you determine the line of motion of an object?

The line of motion of an object can be determined by using various techniques such as tracking its movement with a camera, measuring its displacement and velocity, or analyzing its acceleration using equations of motion.

3. What is the significance of studying line of motion?

The study of line of motion is important in understanding the behavior and characteristics of moving objects and systems, which can have practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and sports science.

4. Can line of motion be affected by external factors?

Yes, the line of motion of an object can be influenced by external factors such as air resistance, friction, and gravity. These external forces can alter the trajectory or speed of the object.

5. How can line of motion be represented graphically?

Line of motion can be represented graphically using a variety of tools, such as distance-time graphs, velocity-time graphs, or displacement-time graphs. These graphs can visually depict the movement of an object over time and provide important information about its line of motion.