1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line Perpendicular to plane

1. Apr 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the line ... . Show that it is perpendicular to the plane A and find the angle that the line makes with the plane B

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I've found the line, but how do I go about showing it's perpendicular and finding the angle?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2008 #2
    The plane must be in either of the two forms.. either it's in a vector form, or Cartesian form. Let's say, it's in a cartesian form..

Ax + By + Cz + D = 0

So you have the direction ratios of the normal to the plane. for a line to be perpendicular to this, you need to get the direction ratios of the line as well. Once you have that, use the check for perpendicularity:

l_1 l_2 + m_1 m_2 + n_1 n_2 = 0

which is equivalent to checking if the dot product of the two vectors is zero or not, which i'd say is a better method.

For finding the angle, find a line parallel to the given line [using the direction ratios] and do the same thing for the plane's normal.. and then use the formula:

\cos{(\theta)} = \frac{\overrightarrow{a}~.~\overrightarrow{b}}{|\overrightarrow{a}||\overrightarrow{b}|}
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?