Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line space problem

1. Apr 29, 2005 #1
    Consider the matrices

A=
    (1 5 -3)
    (2 x -3)

B=
    (1 3 -1)
    (3 x -1)

Find x so A and B have the same line space.
    I tried to do this problem but I was stuck with

A=
    (1 (x-5) 0)
    (0 (x-10) 3)

B=
    (1 3 -1)
    (0 (x-9) 2)

Also, I'm not really sure of what they mean by same line space.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2005 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you don't know what the definition of "line space" is from your notes, then we're not guaranteed to know. Indeed the only definition I could find was that it was a Liouville space, which is a product of Hilbert spaces, so I don't think that's waht you want.

4. Apr 29, 2005 #3
    Is it possible they mean "row" space? Or "column" space (unlikely, since they have the same column space in [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] regardless of the value of x)? Ask your intructor.

5. Apr 29, 2005 #4
    Yes, they mean row space. Sorry, I translated it from French a bit too fast I guess. Actually, I have to find the value of x so they have the same row space but I don't know how.

6. Apr 30, 2005 #5

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Row reduce into ecehlon form, the resulting vectors must have the same spane. Finding the span is the same as finding solutions to simultaneous equations. If you use reduced row echelon form the answer is even easier to read off. These topics will almost certainly bi in your notes, though I don't know the French terms for them (though I can guess what echelon is).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?