Linear 1st order coupled DEs

In summary, linear 1st order coupled differential equations involve two or more variables that are related through a system of equations. These equations can be solved using techniques such as separation of variables or substitution. The solutions to these equations can provide valuable insights into the behavior of a system and can be used to make predictions about its future behavior.
marc1uk
This has got me really stumped. I've started out with an equation for the differential of a 2x2 matrix:

[tex]
\frac{d[N]}{dz} = f(z)[E][D] - \{[W],[N]\} - c\sigma_1[N] - d\sigma_2[N]
[/tex]

where all terms in [] are matrices, {} denotes anti-commutator, and the [tex]\sigma[/tex]'s are the Pauli matrices. Everything but c and d are functions of z, but they're all known functions - only N is unknown.
I know physically that this should describe equations of motion for the matrix N in which the off-diagonal terms are exponentially damped. I think it's sensible to split the equation into equations for the diagonal and off-diagonal elements. If I'm right this results in equations of the form:

[tex]
\frac{dN_{\alpha\alpha}}{dz} = f(z)(DE)_{\alpha\alpha} - W_{\alpha\beta}N_{\beta\alpha} - W_{\beta\alpha}N_{\alpha\beta} - 2W_{\alpha\alpha}N_{\alpha\alpha}
[/tex]

and

[tex]
\frac{dN_{\alpha\beta}}{dz} = f(z)(DE)_{\alpha\beta} - Tr[N]W_{\alpha\beta} - Tr[W]N_{\alpha\beta} - cN_{\alpha\beta} - d(\sigma_2)_{\alpha\beta}N_{\alpha\beta} [/tex]

where [tex]\alpha \neq \beta[/tex]. These are what I have to try to solve. And I'm stumped. I'm hoping someone can give me tips on solving coupled differential equations, stuff of the form:
[tex]
\frac{dy}{dz} = f(z) + g(z)y + h(z)x [/tex]

[tex]
\frac{dx}{dz} = u(z) + v(z)x + w(z)y
[/tex]

Anyone got any ideas on this kind of thing? Any kind of help would be really appreciated.

(of course i suppose I'm really trying to solve:
[tex]
\frac{dy_1}{dz} + a(z)b(y) = c(z) + d(z)u(x)[/tex]
[tex]
\frac{dy_2}{dz} + e(z)f(y) = g(z) + h(z)v(x)[/tex]
[tex]
\frac{dx}{dz} + p(z)q(x) = r(z) + s(z)t(y)
[/tex]
:uhh:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
)The best way to approach this type of problem is to use the method of variation of parameters. This involves writing down a general solution for the system of equations, and then finding the constants of integration by plugging in the initial conditions. You can find more information on this technique here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variation_of_parameters.

1. What is a 1st order coupled differential equation?

A 1st order coupled differential equation is a type of differential equation that involves multiple dependent variables, each of which is a function of the same independent variable. This means that the change in one variable is affected by the change in another variable, and they are "coupled" together in the equation.

2. How do you solve a 1st order coupled differential equation?

The general approach to solving a 1st order coupled differential equation is to first isolate the highest order derivative term. Then, using the properties of integration, you can integrate both sides of the equation with respect to the independent variable. This will result in a system of equations that can be solved for the dependent variables.

3. What is the difference between a linear and non-linear 1st order coupled differential equation?

A linear 1st order coupled differential equation is one where the dependent variables and their derivatives appear only in a linear fashion, meaning they are raised to the first power and do not appear in any other function. A non-linear 1st order coupled differential equation is one where the dependent variables and their derivatives appear in a non-linear fashion, such as being raised to a power other than 1 or appearing in a trigonometric or exponential function.

4. Can a 1st order coupled differential equation have a unique solution?

Yes, a 1st order coupled differential equation can have a unique solution if the initial conditions are specified. These initial conditions provide the values of the dependent variables at a specific point, which can be used to uniquely determine the solution to the equation.

5. What are some real-life applications of 1st order coupled differential equations?

1st order coupled differential equations have many applications in science and engineering, such as modeling chemical reactions, population growth, and electrical circuits. They can also be used to describe the dynamics of systems with multiple interacting components, such as in biological systems or ecological systems.