Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Linear 2nd order ODE?

1. Dec 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]y''x^{2}[/tex] + 4xy' -y = ln(x)

3. The attempt at a solution
    -I considered the quadratic characteristic equation, but it wont work because of the x^2
    -I also tried variation of parameters.
    so i have v = y' and v'=y'' but i have no idea what i would sub when I get to y.

any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi kyin01! :smile:

Try changing x

look for a u(x) such that the equation becomes something simple in dy/du and d2y/du2. :wink:

4. Dec 28, 2009 #3
    I think the standard way is to first find the solutions of the assoc. homogeneous DE [tex]y''x^{2}[/tex] + 4xy' -y =0 using Cauchy Euler DE by letting [tex]y=x^{m}[/tex].

Then use variation of parameter etc. to find the particular solution.

5. Dec 29, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Yes, although that can make the calculations pretty complicated. As tiny-time suggested, the substitution u= ln(x) will change any "Euler-type" or "Equipotential" equation to a very simple equation with constant coefficients.

I rather suspect that if kyin01 were to check his recent notes or textbook where this problem is given, he would find a discussion of "Euler-type" or "Equipotential" equations. (The name varies from text book to text book.)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook