What is the linear acceleration of the .67kg mass?

In summary, The question is asking about the tension in a rope that is pulled downward with a force of 25N over a disk-shaped pulley with a mass of 1.3 kg and radius of 0.075m. The other end of the rope is attached to a 0.67 kg mass. The tension on both sides of the pulley is not the same, with the side attached to the 25N force having the largest tension. The tension on both sides can be found using the equations of motion and the moment of inertia of the pulley. The linear acceleration of the 0.67 kg mass can also be determined using these equations. The counter-clockwise direction is taken as positive and the tension is
Up_Creek
Ok

here's the question;

"You pull downward with a force of 25N on a rope that passes over a disk-shaped pulley of mass 1.3 kg and radius 0.075m. The other end of the rope is attached to a .67-kg mass. (a) Us the tension in the rope the same on both sides of the pulley? If not, which side has the largest tension? (b) Find the tension in the rope on both sides of the pulley.

(c) Find the linear acceleration of the .67kg mass.

Ok, we're using g=10 m/s so the pulley is 13N and the mass is 6.7N.

I've gotten all the forces drawn in but I'm kind of sketchy about how to get the answer. I know I need to combine several equations to find t, tension.
So in total I have this attached image here.

The steps I know I need are as follows

1.) Draw a picture
2.) isolate bodies
3.) draw in forces
4.) resolve forces

I know i'll need to use F=ma. I'm assuming that hopefully I can re-work that so I get a=F/m? Also, as (c) was the only question assigned, do I need to do (a) and (b) to get (c)?

a rough outline of what I think

Since the 25N force is greater than the 6.7N mass, the pulley will accelerate counter-clockwise (or 'out' according to the right hand rule, not sure why that's important, or even if it is) So i'll take counter-clockwise to be positive. Tension must be down, since rope cannot push. Obviously the tension is different on both sides of the pulley, or they wouldn't word the question like that, and the force on the 25N side would create more tension on that side too, right?

Anyway, I need to find the linear acceleration of the 6.7N mass. Linear acceleration I think would be acceleration in the y direction, right?

Jordan Veale

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    3.6 KB · Views: 496
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It has come to my attention that i'll also need moment of inertia, I

the pulley would be a solid disk, so I = 1/2 mr^2

So

I = .5(13N)(.075m^2)
I = .037

that's just taking into account the weight of the pulley alone. Or do I have to add the weight of the mass and the 25N force too?

Last edited:

1. What is linear acceleration two-part?

Linear acceleration two-part refers to the acceleration of an object in a straight line, with a constant rate of change. It is called "two-part" because it involves both magnitude and direction, unlike linear acceleration which only involves magnitude.

2. How is linear acceleration two-part different from linear acceleration?

Linear acceleration two-part involves both magnitude and direction, while linear acceleration only involves magnitude. This means that linear acceleration two-part can change the speed and direction of an object, while linear acceleration can only change the speed.

3. What is the formula for calculating linear acceleration two-part?

The formula for calculating linear acceleration two-part is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

4. How is linear acceleration two-part measured?

Linear acceleration two-part is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²) or feet per second squared (ft/s²). This unit represents the change in velocity over a period of time, indicating the rate at which the object is accelerating.

5. What are some real-life examples of linear acceleration two-part?

Some real-life examples of linear acceleration two-part include a car accelerating from a stop sign, a roller coaster changing direction, a plane taking off from a runway, and a person jumping off a diving board. In all of these scenarios, the object is accelerating in both speed and direction.