1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear acceleration

1. Dec 2, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A grinding wheel 0.35 m in diameter rotates at 2500rmp. What is the linear acceleration of a point on the edge of the grinding wheel?
    For the linear acceleration, should it be atotal=atan+aR? Should we find both tangential acceleration and centripetal acceleration? But on the answer key, it's only centripetal acceleration. i dont' know why? But also I can not find tangential acceleration since I dont know the time. Hope you can help. thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2007 #2
    Should we find both tangential and centripetal acceleration?

4. Dec 3, 2007 #3

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The wheel is rotating at constant angular velocity and constant tangential speed; ; therfore, it has no tangential acceleration, just radial (or centripetal) acceleration.

5. Dec 3, 2007 #4
    How do you know it's constant angular velocity? Because it didn't say anything about acceleration of angular velocity?

6. Dec 4, 2007 #5

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It said it it is moving at 2500rpm. That is a constant angular velocity. If it was accelerating, it would have stated such, or at least made a veiled reference to it and given other data. It is like saying that a train is moving at 90mph......there is no reason to believe that the train is accelerating if it is not stated, that is, the 90 mph is assumed a constant speed.

7. Dec 5, 2007 #6
    Ok. I got it. Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?