Reducing Noise of Linear Actuator up to 125kg Force

In summary, the conversation discusses the noise production of linear actuators, and whether foam can effectively reduce noise without causing overheating issues. The speaker also mentions their experience with a 3D printer and replacing noisy bearings with quieter ones. It is suggested that a sandwich of cement board and foam may be helpful in reducing noise, and that the path of noise transmission should be eliminated. Additionally, liquid cooling may be an option for exporting heat and reducing noise. The conversation ends with a request for clarification on the noise level of actuators and whether it is significant enough to worry about.
Neekman99
Hi,
For a machine I am designing, the linear actuator would ideally not produce much noise as it is intended to be in a relatively quiet environment. Just wondering do all actuators produce a large amount of noise pollution (it would need to produce a force of up to 125kg so it is not a small actuator either)? How effective is using foam to reduce noise and would the subsequent hindrance to heat dissipation be an issue?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
What's the application? I have recently acquired a cheap 3D printer. Initially the linear bearings were quite noisy but I replaced them with Drylin bearings which seem quieter than the cheap linear ball bearings supplied. The noise from the stepper motors varies a lot depending on how it's moving. The x and y-axis uses belts that make tooth noise whereas the z axis uses a lead screw which is quieter.

Foam helps absorb high frequency noise but for lower frequencies something with more mass might be helpful, perhaps a sandwich of cement board - foam - cement board? You also need to eliminate transmission through mountings or framing.

Yes wrapping everything in foam could cause overheating problems. Instead of making holes right through to let heat out make them staggered/offset so the holes don't line up. The more tortuous the path the less the noise will escape but the harder it is to blow air through. I suppose liquid cooling could be used to export heat but pipes and the fluid in them can also transmit noise.

I have worked with linear actuators much larger than that, and none have been very noisy. How noisy is it? What is the source of the noise? Is it the motor, the gear reducer, ball screw, or support bearings?

Likes berkeman
CWatters said:
Initially the linear bearings were quite noisy but I replaced them with Drylin bearings which seem quieter than the cheap linear ball bearings supplied. The noise from the stepper motors varies a lot depending on how it's moving. The x and y-axis uses belts that make tooth noise whereas the z axis uses a lead screw which is quieter.

Really helpful, thank you!

jrmichler said:
I have worked with linear actuators much larger than that, and none have been very noisy. How noisy is it? What is the source of the noise? Is it the motor, the gear reducer, ball screw, or support bearings?

I've not actually had a chance to test any actuators yet, I just assumed that the bearings and motor would create quite a lot of noise (and from looking through forums seems like people have had similar issues). Do you think the noise is not significant enough to worry about? Quite hard to judge from looking at videos.

Likes berkeman
Neekman99 said:
Just wondering do all actuators produce a large amount of noise pollution
wipnel said:
Really helpful, thank you!
@wipnel -- Is there a problem with your original account @Neekman99 ?

Check your private messages and I'll try to help you get this fixed. :smile:

berkeman said:
@wipnel -- Is there a problem with your original account @Neekman99 ?

Check your private messages and I'll try to help you get this fixed. :smile:

Nope, 2 different people man :) I've sent you a reply ^

Likes berkeman

1. How does reducing noise affect the performance of a linear actuator?

Reducing noise can greatly improve the overall performance of a linear actuator. Excessive noise can indicate inefficiencies or malfunctions in the actuator, which can lead to decreased accuracy and precision. By reducing noise, the actuator can operate more smoothly and efficiently, resulting in improved performance.

2. What methods are commonly used to reduce noise in linear actuators?

There are several methods that can be used to reduce noise in linear actuators. These include using sound-absorbing materials, optimizing the design and construction of the actuator, and implementing noise-reducing technologies such as dampening systems or vibration isolation. The specific method used will depend on the type and cause of the noise.

3. Can noise reduction affect the maximum force of a linear actuator?

In most cases, reducing noise will not have a significant impact on the maximum force of a linear actuator. However, in some cases, implementing noise-reducing technologies or materials may slightly decrease the maximum force due to added weight or changes in the actuator's design. It is important to carefully consider the trade-offs between noise reduction and maximum force when implementing noise-reducing measures.

4. Is it possible to completely eliminate noise in a linear actuator?

While it is possible to greatly reduce noise in a linear actuator, it is nearly impossible to completely eliminate all noise. This is because there are various factors that can contribute to noise, such as friction, vibrations, and electrical components. However, with proper design and implementation of noise-reducing measures, the noise level can be significantly reduced to a tolerable level.

5. How does reducing noise impact the lifespan of a linear actuator?

Reducing noise can actually help prolong the lifespan of a linear actuator. Excessive noise can indicate that the actuator is experiencing excessive wear and tear, which can lead to premature failure. By reducing noise, the actuator can operate more smoothly and efficiently, resulting in less strain on its components and a longer lifespan.