Solving for Position with Zero Initial Velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses equations that give the velocity and position of an object dropped from rest, and how they relate to free fall in a vacuum. The solutions to two parts of the problem are given, and the person asking the question is seeking help with finding a solution to the second part. It is determined that this involves taking further terms in the Taylor expansion to avoid getting a result of zero.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Equation (2.33) gives the velocity of an object dropped from rest. At first, when Vy is small, air resistance should be unimportant and (2.33) should agree with the elementary result Vy = gt for free fall in a vacuum. Prove that this is the case. (b) The position of the dropped object is given by (2.35) with V0y = 0. Show similarly that this reduces to the familiar y = 1/2 gt^2

Homework Equations

equation (2.33) [itex]v_y(t) = v_{ter}(1-e^{-t/\tau})[/itex]

equation (2.35) [itex]y(t) = v_{ter}t + (v_{0y} - v_{ter}) \tau (1 - e^{-t/\tau})[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to solve part a. Here is my attempt at finding a solution to part b:

[itex]y(t) = v_{term}t - \v_{term} \tau [1 - (1 - \frac{t}{\tau})][/itex] I used the first two terms of the taylor seiries to approximate the exponential function.

Through simplification I get:

[itex]y(t) = v_{term}t - v_{term} \tau (\frac{t}{\tau})[/itex], which is clearly going to be zero--but that does not make sense, for it implies that the position is always zero for all time.

What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are neglecting terms in t-squared and higher. Since the answer is like t squared it is inevitable you will get 0. You need to take further terms in the Taylor expansion.

Oh, thank you.

What is linear air resistance?

Linear air resistance is the force that opposes an object's motion through air, caused by the interaction between the object and the air molecules it is moving through.

How does linear air resistance affect an object's motion?

Linear air resistance can slow down an object's motion by reducing its speed and changing its direction. This is because as the object moves through air, the air molecules collide with it, resulting in a force that acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion.

What factors affect the strength of linear air resistance?

The strength of linear air resistance depends on the size, shape, and speed of the object, as well as the density and viscosity of the air it is moving through. Objects with larger surface areas, higher speeds, and moving through thicker air will experience stronger air resistance.

How is linear air resistance calculated?

The calculation of linear air resistance involves factors such as the object's speed, its projected area, and the air density. It can be calculated using equations such as the drag force equation, which takes into account the object's velocity, air density, and a coefficient of drag specific to the object's shape.

Can linear air resistance be reduced or eliminated?

Linear air resistance can be reduced by changing the shape or surface area of an object, as well as by using certain materials that are more aerodynamic. However, it cannot be completely eliminated as long as an object is moving through air.