1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra A' is A when two of A lines switched,A Invertible prove (A+A')x=0

1. Jul 31, 2010 #1
    linear algebra A' is A when two of A lines switched,A Invertible prove (A+A')x=0....

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A is a n*n matrix
    A' is the matrix A when two two lines i,j are switched.
    (switch two random lines is A and you get A')
    If A Invertible Prove that the system (A+A')x=0 has infinite solutions

2. Relevant equations
    linear algebra including Determinant

3. The attempt at a solution

Well I know that A+A' has two identical lines so when subtracting them I get a line of 0 and then Because I know there is a line of 0 I know that there are infinite solutions...
    But I did not used the fact that A is Invertible...
    How do I solve it while using this fact? , I try to use Determinant but I do not mange to.
    Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2010 #2
    Re: linear algebra A' is A when two of A lines switched,A Invertible prove (A+A')x=0.

let Det(A)=k
    then Det(A')=-k (two rows are switched)

Det(A+A')=?

4. Jul 31, 2010 #3
    Re: linear algebra A' is A when two of A lines switched,A Invertible prove (A+A')x=0.

Thank you very much

5. Jul 31, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That logic doesn't work because det(A+A') is not equal to det(A)+det(A'). You need to think of something else ThankYou. Might it be that A+A' has two identical rows? How can you use that? You don't need the premise that A is invertible.

6. Aug 1, 2010 #5

My bad.

7. Aug 13, 2010 #6

Ha...
    I've just got the Homework result back...
    I got -6 for this question..
    I know about the two identical lines but it did not used the fact that A is invertible...

Actually they just put the invertible fact to confuse because the teacher solution was the same as Dick without using the invertible Fact

Thanks anyway.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook