1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra A^tb=0

1. Dec 12, 2012 #1
    hi all, i was given a take home exam for my linear algebra course and i cant seem to find the answer to this problem.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    if [itex] A^T\vec{b} = \vec{0}[/itex]
    what can you say about ##\hat{b}## the vector in Col A which is the best approximation of
    ##\vec{b}##.

2. Relevant equations
    ##A^T A \vec{x} = A^T\vec{b}##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't even know where to start,
    I have a feeling that there is a way to show that ##\hat{b}## is equal to ##\vec{b}##. but I dont know how to go about finding this.
    I've been thinking about it for a day already. any hints or nudges in the right direction would be very helpful please.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2012 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

start by considering the columns of A. Each component of A^T.b is the same as the dot product of a column of A with b.

4. Dec 12, 2012 #3
    I tried this not sure if its correct. i used this theorem

##(col A)^\perp = Nul A^T##
    since i was given ## A^T\vec{b} = \vec{0} ##
    ##Nul A^T = \vec{b}##
    and this means that ##\vec{b}## is already orthogonal to ##col A##
    and because ##\vec{b} - \hat{b} = \perp## to ## Col A##
    ##\hat{b} = \vec{0}##

right? or am I completely off?

5. Dec 13, 2012 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

I think you're heading in the right direction - b is orthogonal to every column vector in A, so they are going to do a pretty poor job when used to approximate b

this is not quite true

## \vec{b} \in Nul(A^T) ##
    is more accurate

i think you've pretty much got it, but you need to outline how you measure how "good" an approximation is to tie it together

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook