1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra and Canceling

1. Sep 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

From AB=C find a formula for A^-1. Also, from PA=LU find A^-1

3. The attempt at a solution

My answers were (A^-1)=(C^-1)(B) and (L^-1)(U^-1)(P)=(A^-1).

The answers in the back of the book are (A^-1)=(B)(C^-1) and (A^-1)=(U^-1)(L^-1)(P)

Would I say that my canceling of matrices is wrong? Would I call what I am trying to do 'cancelling matrices'? What should I be considering when trying to carry out operations such as these?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2010 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why don't you show what steps you did to get those answers?
  4. Sep 14, 2010 #3
    Good point.

First: AB = C --> (A^-1)(A)(B) = (A^-1)(C) = (B) --> (A^-1)=(C^-1)(B)

Second: PA = LU --> [want to cancel A on left side so I multiplied by A^-1 on both sides. assumed placement of A^-1 on left side didn't matter, as long as I could cancel] (P)(A^-1)(A)=(A^-1)(L)(U) --> [basically did the same thing as in the previous step, multiplying first by the inverse of the matrix closest to A^-1, which was L] (L^-1)(U^-1)(P)=(A^-1)

Let me know if I can make things clearer.
  5. Sep 14, 2010 #4

Staff: Mentor

The placement of a matrix in matrix multiplication does matter, since matrix multiplication is not generally commutative.

For the first problem (and maybe you can get an idea for the second),

AB = C
    ==> A = CB-1
    ==> A-1 = (CB-1)-1 = (B-1)-1C-1
    ==> A-1 = BC-1

In the second step I multiplied on the right by B-1. In the third step I used the theorem that (AB)-1 = B-1C-1.
  6. Sep 14, 2010 #5
    Okay. So...

It seems like whatever placement I use to cancel something out (to the left or right of the term) I use that same placement (to the left or right of all the factors) on the other side of the equation.
  7. Sep 14, 2010 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That makes sense. If you take your term on the left, and your term on the right, and call them M and N for a second

We have that M=N

So if we want to cancel say a matrix C, we need to multiply one of these by C-1. MC-1=NC-1 just by directly replacing M with N. So the upshot is that whenever you multiply a matrix equation by another matrix, you have to make sure what you're multiplying by is either at the start or at the end of both expressions
  8. Sep 14, 2010 #7

Staff: Mentor

Which agrees with the answer in the book.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook