1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra and MV Calculus

1. Apr 1, 2009 #1
    Do you need one before the other or does the order not matter?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2009 #2
    There was a discussion about this before. Some people prefer doing LA first, but it doesn't really matter in most cases. Nabeshin summed it up nicely

4. Apr 1, 2009 #3
    Thanks, and now for the real point of this post, after getting someone to confirm what I wanted to hear, I need a suggestion for a first LA book. ^_^ I'm not really into applications, lots of rigor and proofs is what I want, as long as it's plausible considering I've had nothing past Calc. II. This will be for self-study.

So basically I want the most rigorous LA I book. Thanks a bunch. :]

5. Apr 1, 2009 #4

fluidistic

Gold Member

Try Linear Algebra by Hoffman and Kunze. Very rigorous and good book on the subject.

6. Apr 1, 2009 #5
    Hoffman and Kunze was written for 3rd year math majors at MIT so it definitely fits your description of rigorous but be warned.

Alternatives include Introduction to Linear Algebra by Strang and linear algebra by Shilov.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  7. Apr 1, 2009 #6
    Hoffman & Kunze looks great, but is the latest version from '71? Would that matter?

And what about Friedrich? It also seems highly praised, and has a 2002 edition.

8. Apr 1, 2009 #7
    If you can handle Hoffman & Kunze then it's a good textbook regardless.

9. Apr 2, 2009 #8
    This is pretty much my exact situation(also from physicsforums):

But I've also read that Friedberg is for a second course. If that's the case does it matter?
    (like how it wouldn't matter what calculus book you get because all calc II books are calc I-II books)

What are everyone's thoughts about Friedberg?

10. Apr 2, 2009 #9
    It seems like the OP has already made up his mind, but I would like to mention that sometimes the order in which the classes are taken does matter. My college has two versions of multivariable calculus, one with and one without a linear algebra prerequisite. I would have not wanted to take the more rigorous version without a strong background in linear algebra and solid proof-writing skills.

But I guess it is safe to say that the order does not matter as long as neither is a prerequisite for the other.

11. Apr 3, 2009 #10
    We used "Linear Algebra and It's Applications", by David C. Lay.

Linear%20Algebra%20and%20its%20Applications.jpg

For Multivariate (Calculus III) we finished the mega-text "Calculus", by McCallum, Hughes-Hallett, and Gleason.
    We also used this text for Calculus I & II (it's over 1000 pages).

I'm now reading "div grad curl and all that" to cement those topics, and the electromagnetics examples are great since I'm doing EE.

-----

And just to round it out, I'm finishing up in the Math department this semester with "Differential Equations" by Blanchard, Devaney, and Hall. It's turning out to be a pretty good text.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook