1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra and sub spaces

1. Dec 1, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A) let T_k be all polynomials with degree 3 or under such that k is their coefficients sum.
    so we can say that exist at least 2 values of k for them T_k is the sub vector space of P_3(x)?
    B) this question is about direct sum: Let [tex]V_1,V_2,V_3[/tex] be subvector spaces of V if [tex]V_1 \cap V_2={0}[/tex] and [tex]V_1 \cap V_3={0}[/tex] than [tex]V_1 \cap (V_2+V_3)={0}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

A) is this true??? am i right? look under for my answer

3. The attempt at a solution

A)i think this statment is false for example for k=2,4 we have T_k polynomials but T_k is not close under scalar multipication....is this right?

B)i infact dont think the statement is true but i couldnt find an exaple to support it

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For A), k=2 or 4 don't work, you are right. But what if k=0? For B), yes, it's false. Take the space of linear polynomials P_1(x). Let V1 be all multiples of (1+x), V2 be all multiples of 1 and V3 be all multiples of x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?