Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra and vectors. confused

1. Jun 11, 2005 #1
    Let P1 = P1(2, 1, -2) and P2 = P2(1, -2, 0). Find the coordinates of P, which is 1/4 the way from P2 to P1.

The answer is P = P(5/4, -5/4, -1/2)

Can someone explain to me the concept of this? I don't quite understand it. So basically we are suppose to find a vector P that is 1/4 away from (P1 - P2)? The solution manual does (1/4)P1 + (3/4)P2 = P. Why?

Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2005 #2
    The coordinates of points P1 and P2 can also be thought of as the coordinates of vectors extending from the origin to those points. For example, (2, 1, -2) are the coordinates of the vector [tex] \vec{P_1}[/tex], and (1, -2, 0) are the coordinates of the vector [tex] \vec{P_2}[/tex]. First, you need to find the vector A such that

[tex] \vec{P_2} + \vec{A} = \vec{P_1}[/tex]

Remember that the geometric interpretation of vector addition is adding directed line segments tail to head. To add vector 1 to vector 2, you place the tail of vector 2 on the head of vector 1. The sum is the vector that extends from the tail of 1 to the head of 2. So to find the point 1/4 of the way along the line connecting point P2 to point P1, you need to find the vector

[tex]\vec{P_2} + \frac{1}{4}\vec{A}[/tex]
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2005
  4. Jun 12, 2005 #3
    Thanks for the help
  5. Jun 15, 2005 #4
    the way which i would have had done it is....

I would have assumed an line segment between those two point and used the ration formula to obtain the coordinates...that seemed to be most simpler
  6. Jun 23, 2005 #5
    i am happy with heman 's answer but he should somewhat clear about this answer. the distance between these points is sqrt[14].now let the p point is 1/4 distance away from P1.them p point cuts that joining line between (2 ,1,-2) and (1,-2,0) in two parts sqrt[14]/4 and 3 *sqrt[14]/4 unit means the ratio will be 1,3
    now apply ratio formula. m=1,n=3
    X= (m*X1+n*X2)/(m+n)
    same for y and z
    i think now it will be very clear to katakonik
  7. Jun 23, 2005 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The equation of a line joining the point given by vectors v and w can be given by: r(t)=(1-t)v+wt

As you can see: r(0)=v and r(1)=w. If you see the geometric picture decribing this line, you can easily see that the point 1/4 the way from the point given by v to the point given by w is r(1/4).

So for your problem: v=(1,-2,0), w=(2,1,-2) and r(1/4)=3/4(1,-2,0)+1/4(2,1,-2).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?