How can a column represent a vector in linear algebra?

In summary: However, the arrows are not associated with the polynomials in this space in the same way they are with the vectors in the vector space over the real or complex numbers.
vijay_singh
I am reading "Linear Algebra" by Strang. In the first lesson, he talks about how to solve equations with 2 unknowns and he shows 2 approaches i,e row approach and column approach. I understand the row approach because it makes sense. I understand the column approach too, but I don't understand how the "column" represents a vector?

BTW I do understand what a vector is and how the vector arithmetic works, but I some how cannot abstract the "column" into vector, in my mind. Can somebody please explain me?

example :

2x - y = 1
x + y = 5

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How about

[itex]
\begin{pmatrix}2\\1\end{pmatrix}x+\begin{pmatrix}-1\\1\end{pmatrix}y = \begin{pmatrix}1\\5\end{pmatrix}
[/itex]

or so:

2 -1 x 1
1 1 . y = 5

?

So you can just solve the equations by back substitution, or you can simplify the matrices using the rules of matrix sweeping, which is actually just the same thing.

trambolin said:
How about

[itex]
\begin{pmatrix}2\\1\end{pmatrix}x+\begin{pmatrix}-1\\1\end{pmatrix}y = \begin{pmatrix}1\\5\end{pmatrix}
[/itex]

Thanks for responding. May be I didn't make it very clear in my question, it is not the solution of the problem but some part of approach which I can't understand. And following is what I don't understand

why is [itex]
\begin{pmatrix}2\\1\end{pmatrix}
[/itex] considered a "vector" (How is it abstracted as vector quantity?) in the equation you described in your earlier reply

[itex]
[/itex]

Let F be a field. Then a vector space V over F is a set that satisfies the following properties:

1.) There exists a map + : V x V --> V such that for all u, v in V, +(u, v) is an element of V. For brevity, rewrite +(u, v) as u + v.
2.) For all u, v in V, u + v = v + u
3.) For all u, v, w in V, (u + v) + w = u + (v + w)
4.) There exists a map * : (F x V) --> V such that for r in F, v in V, *(r, v) is an element of V. We rewrite *(r,v) as r * v, or simply rv.
5.) For all r, s in F, v in V, (r + s) * v = r * v + s * v.
6.) For all r in F, u, v in V, r * (u + v) = r * u + r * v.
7.) For all r, s in F, v in V, r * (sv) = (rs) * v
8.) There exists an element 0 in V such that for all v in V, v + 0 = v.
9.) For all v in V, there exists an element w such that v + w = 0 = w + v. We denote w by -1.
10.) For all v in V, there 1 * v = v, where 1 is the identity element of F.

Any set and functions that satisfies these axioms is called a vector space over F. Any element of this set is then called a vector.

Your row vectors and column vectors both belong to vector spaces because they both belong to sets with operations that satisfy the properties above. You should begin to avoid the association of arrows with vectors, since not all vectors are equivalence classes of oriented segments. For example, the set of degree two polynomials is a vector space by letting F be the real or complex numbers.

1. What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar is a quantity that only has magnitude. Examples of vectors include velocity, force, and displacement, while examples of scalars include temperature, mass, and time.

2. How are vectors represented in linear algebra?

Vectors are typically represented as a column or row matrix, with each element representing the magnitude of the vector in a particular direction. For example, the vector v = (3, 4) could be represented as a 2x1 column matrix or a 1x2 row matrix.

3. What is the dot product of two vectors?

The dot product, also known as the scalar product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and returns a scalar value. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding elements of the two vectors and then summing the products. This operation is often used to calculate the angle between two vectors or to project one vector onto another.

4. How do you determine if two vectors are linearly dependent or independent?

Two vectors are linearly dependent if one vector can be written as a scalar multiple of the other, or if they lie on the same line. In other words, one vector is a linear combination of the other. If two vectors are not linearly dependent, they are considered linearly independent, meaning they cannot be written as a linear combination of each other.

5. What is the role of matrices in linear algebra?

Matrices are a fundamental tool in linear algebra, used to represent linear transformations, solve systems of linear equations, and perform operations on vectors. They are also used to represent data in various fields, such as computer graphics, economics, and engineering.