1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra Application

1. Oct 10, 2008 #1
    I am having some problems figuring out how to design a student traffic flow system for students entering and leaving a hall. I have to solve the equation and discuss the solution.

I can solve the one for a road junction and traffic patterns but I'm sort of puzzled when it comes to the hall.

The hall has 7 doors. 3 to the front and 4 to the sides. I know how to put the numbers for going in and the traffic pattern. Does the number of students entering have to be equal to the amount coming out?

Can anyone give me a little help and direction how to continue?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

No since you're told explicitly it's a hall and not a junction. What is the capacity of the hall?
  4. Oct 11, 2008 #3
    The capacity of the hall is 600 persons. For the 3 doors to the front I have assigned 2 as in only and one two way. For the 4 doors to the side, 3 as out and one in.

Here is a sorta layout I made of the chapel. I don't know if my labeling is right.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  5. Oct 11, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

It seems to me you're not providing all the information required for others to help you. I clicked on the link you provided and saw that some doors are marked "in X2" or something like that. What do those mean? What is the exact statement of the problem?

The concept which you should use is this:
    rate of students entering - rate of students leaving = rate of increase of students in the hall. Unless you make clear what the statement of the problem is, along with what information you are given, I don't see how anyone can help.
  6. Oct 11, 2008 #5
    Ok. The problem is that I'm suppose to design a traffic flow system for students entering and leaving a Chapel. I am suppose to solve the system and discuss the solution. It involves matrix. The x1 and other numbers are variables I'm using for in a out.
  7. Oct 12, 2008 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You haven't fully stated the problem. What conditions is your "traffic flow system" to meet so that you can't just tell the student "go where ever you like"?
  8. Oct 12, 2008 #7
    Well the students enter the hall through the doors that is stated as in. In case of an emergency they have to use the doors that is marked out. I have to design the traffic flow system for this situation.

I've updated the design on what I have done so far. http://img518.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chapelxo3.gif
    Any ideas on how I'm going thus far?
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?