1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra Axioms

1. Jan 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the axiom [itex]\vec{A} + (\vec{B} + \vec{C}) = (\vec{A} + \vec{B}) + \vec{C}[/itex] holds for polynomials of the form [itex]a_0 + a_1 x + a_2 x^2[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm pretty new to writing proofs for linear algebra so my first question is should I be treating the polynomials as the vectors? That is, should I write something like,

[itex]a^A_0 + a^A_1 x + a^A_2 x^2 + (a^B_0 + a^B_1 x + a^B_2 x^2 + a^C_0 + a^C_1 x + a^C_2 x^2) = (a^A_0 + a^A_1 x + a^A_2 x^2 + a^B_0 + a^B_1 x + a^B_2 x^2) + a^C_0 + a^C_1 x + a^C_2 x^2[/itex]

?
    I don't think this is correct since the polynomials aren't really vectors (right?). But I'm not sure how else to place these polynomials into the axioms.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2012 #2
    Yes, the polynomials under their usual operations are vectors ( since they form a vector space, and this is what you are trying to show ). It's simple: any element of a space that is a vector space, is a vector.
    The key point is that you are proving this with respect to a specific operation, and a specific set of objects ( you already know how to add and subtract these elements, you just have to show that they *also* satisfy these other vector space properties )

4. Jan 5, 2012 #3

lanedance

Homework Helper

effectively you can treat [itex] a_0 + a_1 x + a_2 x^2 [/itex] as [itex] (a_0,a_1,a_2)^T [/itex] as the polynomials 1,x,x^2 are linearly independent

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook