1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra - Basis

1. Apr 26, 2004 #1
    Linear Algebra -- Basis

I had the following problem on an exam this morning and it kind of threw me. I'd appreciate it if someone could review my answers and reasoning and let me know if I answered correctly.

W is a subset of F and spanned by {3, (sinx)^2, (cosx)^2}

a) Prove W is a vector space:

All w's that are members of W can be represented by: a3 + b(sinx)^2 + c(cosx)^2 = f(x)

From this obvious that f(x) is closed under addition and scalar multiplication, so I won't go into details.

b) Find a basis of W:

This is where I was having some problems.

a3 + b(sinx)^2 + c(cosx)^2 = 0;
    since (sinx)^2 + (cosx)^2 = 1, there's no linear independance, but is if I calculate the Wronskian of {(sinx)^2, (cosx)^2} is show's they're linearly independent. Because {3, (sinx)^2, (cosx)^2} spanned W, but 3 is a linear combination of {(sinx)^2, (cosx)^2}, {(sinx)^2, (cosx)^2} spans W. Therefore, {(sinx)^2, (cosx)^2} is a basis of W, and the dimension of W is 2.

Is this valid and correct?

Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2004 #2

turin

Homework Helper

Looks good to me. Except, I'm a little uneasy how you got the Wronskian to show linear independence.

4. Apr 26, 2004 #3
    Thanks for your reply.

For the Wronskian, W(x) = -Sin(2x). There's an definitely an x where W(x) is not equal to 0, so {(sinx)^2, (cosx)^2} are linearly independent.

5. Apr 27, 2004 #4

turin

Homework Helper

Oh, right. I wasn't paying close enough attention. For some reason I imagined a 1 in there. OK, so now it looks even better to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?