How can I use Gauss elimination to zero out the elements of a block system?

In summary, the conversation discusses using Gauss elimination to systematically zero out the elements of C in a linear block system. This involves multiplying the top row of the matrix by the corresponding element in C and adding it to the row containing that element, repeating this process until all elements of C are zero. The speaker mentions using a double loop to accomplish this, but is hoping for a more efficient method.
Scootertaj
1. See the following picture:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/715/math5610.jpg/

Essentially what I'm trying to do is solve a linear block system.
I have got to the point where I now need to "add multiples of the top rows to clear out C."
Now, I'm sure this is the easy part as I've already had to make a Matlab program to solve a tridiagonal system, but I just can't figure out how I essentially eliminate C.

Known: I (identity), E, x1,b3,C,D,x2,b2.

Like I said, I'm sure I'm making this easy step very difficult, but I don't know where to proceed :/

Physics news on Phys.org
Just a bump. I'm sure this is easy LA I can't figure out.

Turns out the image isn't showing, sorry for another post:
rl9ksn.jpg

I think all they are saying is that you can use Gauss elimination to systematically zero out the elements of C. For example, let's say the upper left element of C is c1. Multiply the top row of the matrix by -c1 and add it to the row containing c1. Now the upper left corner of C is zero. Next pick the proper row in the upper part of the matrix to zero out the next non-zero term of C, and so on until all elements of C are zero. It might help to write out a small made up problem (e.g. each sub-matrix is a 2x2) and work through the steps by hand.

hotvette said:
I think all they are saying is that you can use Gauss elimination to systematically zero out the elements of C. For example, let's say the upper left element of C is c1. Multiply the top row of the matrix by -c1 and add it to the row containing c1. Now the upper left corner of C is zero. Next pick the proper row in the upper part of the matrix to zero out the next non-zero term of C, and so on until all elements of C are zero. It might help to write out a small made up problem (e.g. each sub-matrix is a 2x2) and work through the steps by hand.

Ya, that's what I was figuring, but I was hoping there would be an easier way to do it (I'm programming it in Matlab).
Obviously, a double loop will work and get the job done, but was looking to see if there was a slicker way to do it.

1. What is a block system in linear algebra?

A block system in linear algebra refers to a method of organizing matrices into smaller, more manageable blocks. These blocks may contain single elements or larger submatrices, and are often used to solve systems of equations or perform matrix operations more efficiently.

2. How is a block system different from a traditional matrix?

Unlike a traditional matrix, which is a single rectangular array of numbers, a block system is made up of smaller matrices or blocks. These blocks may be of different sizes and can be arranged in different ways, such as vertically or diagonally, within the larger block system.

3. What are the benefits of using a block system in linear algebra?

Using a block system can offer several benefits in linear algebra, including increased efficiency in solving systems of equations, the ability to perform matrix operations using smaller blocks instead of the entire matrix, and the ability to analyze and manipulate complex systems of equations more easily.

4. How is a block system used in real-world applications?

A block system can be used in a variety of real-world applications, including engineering, physics, economics, and computer science. It is particularly useful in systems that involve large amounts of data, such as in data analysis or machine learning.

5. What are some common techniques for working with block systems in linear algebra?

Some common techniques for working with block systems include block diagonalization, which involves breaking a larger matrix into smaller diagonal blocks, and block elimination, which involves using smaller blocks to solve systems of equations. Other techniques include block matrix multiplication and block LU decomposition.