Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra>Calculus

1. Apr 24, 2009 #1
    Some physics major told me:
    "Linear Algebra is much more important then calculus"
    Can anyone give weight to these words?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2009 #2
    Hmmm. That sounds a bit like saying, "I'm already comfortable with calculus, and linear algebra is novel and interesting to me, so it must be more important."

Or perhaps, "Linear algebra feels more relevant to quantum mechanics, and since that's the course I'm taking right now, it must be more important than calculus."

4. Apr 24, 2009 #3
    It's simply not true.

In physics, linear algebra and calculus work together quite often to create some rather powerful results. They're both extremely important and without either of them, you could do very little. If one wanted to be particular, though, you can get through first year physics without touching linear algebra, but try getting through any first year physics course without calculus.

Even in quantum mechanics, linear algebra and calculus play equally important roles. (Heck, you can't even comprehend L^2 without linear algebra or calculus, and that's where everything in QM is derived from.)

5. Apr 24, 2009 #4
    ... yes, just like physics majors think physics is much more important than math (ask them).

6. Apr 24, 2009 #5
    The logical mind knows that Algebra forms the "primary" base of both Trig and Calculus; therefore - an UNBREAKABLE permanent relationship is always present in ALL SCIENCES.

Now, the wise mind knows that because Algebra is ALWAYS in there, it can be "ignored" for a "while".

Now, the ordered mind reminds itself that specific "Algebra only" calculations, must be "performed" as "final proof", of any proposed theory.

The practical mind knows most "hold ups" in prooving "theories" is structure; so "Algebra" is on the back bunner for a while.

The experimental mind gradually matures to an assumption, that because every possible "math" issue that "appears" to be in the Calculus always gets "solved" independantly: it has to be somewhere else.

The precise mind finds the "problem" to have been in the Algebra all along; causing "errors" in the Trig and Calculus when their base "rules" were set up in the first place; and "finds" a SINGLE assuption that "caused" the mess.

The patient mind is one with the cosmos; therefore, evolves into a "pure black" mental state, which is the foundation of the open mind.

7. Apr 25, 2009 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

How silly of them!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook