Linear algebra change of coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses a transformation T in a vector space and its relationship with bases. It is stated that {k1, ..., kv} is a basis for the kernel of T if and only if {[k1]B, ..., [kv]B} is a basis for the null space of [T]B. Similarly, {r1, ..., rq} is a basis for the range of T if and only if {[r1]B, ..., [rq]B} is a basis for the column space of [T]B. The notation [ ]B indicates a coordinate vector. The student is struggling to understand how to apply this information and is seeking clarification.
sweetiepi

Homework Statement

Consider a transformation T in the vector space consisting of linear transformation T: V -> V with a basis B = {b1, ..., bn} for V. Show that {k1, ..., kv} is a basis for Ker(T) if and only if {[k1]B, ..., [kv)B} is a basis for Nul([T]B) and that {r1, ..., rq} is a basis for Range(T) if and only if {[r1]B, ..., [rq]} is a basis for Col([T]B).

The notation [ ]B indicates that it is a coordinate vector.

Homework Equations

Not sure that there are any.

The Attempt at a Solution

I just don't get how to relate everything... I don't know how to think about it all which means I don't really have any good attempts.

Physics news on Phys.org
I understand the idea of a basis, but I don't know how to apply it here. Could someone explain it to me?

1. What is linear algebra change of coordinates?

Linear algebra change of coordinates is a mathematical technique used to transform data or equations from one coordinate system to another. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics to simplify calculations and solve problems.

2. Why is linear algebra change of coordinates important?

Linear algebra change of coordinates is important because it allows us to represent the same data or equations in different ways, making it easier to analyze and manipulate. It also provides a way to solve complex problems by breaking them down into simpler components.

3. What are the key concepts in linear algebra change of coordinates?

The key concepts in linear algebra change of coordinates include basis vectors, transformation matrices, and coordinate vectors. Basis vectors are a set of vectors that form the basis of a coordinate system. Transformation matrices are used to convert coordinates from one system to another. Coordinate vectors represent a point or vector in a particular coordinate system.

4. How is linear algebra change of coordinates used in real-life applications?

Linear algebra change of coordinates has numerous applications in various fields. In physics, it is used to describe the motion and forces acting on objects in different coordinate systems. In engineering, it is used to analyze structural designs and electrical circuits. In computer graphics, it is used to create 3D models and animations. Additionally, it is used in machine learning and data analysis to transform and manipulate data.

5. What are some common challenges when working with linear algebra change of coordinates?

Some common challenges when working with linear algebra change of coordinates include understanding the different coordinate systems and their relationships, correctly applying transformation matrices, and keeping track of basis vectors and coordinate vectors. It can also be difficult to visualize the effects of coordinate transformations, especially in higher dimensions.