[Linear Algebra] Conjugate Transpose of a Matrix and vectors in ℂ

In summary, the equation states that the vector dot product is the sum of the vector components multiplied together.
Ismail Siddiqui

Homework Statement

Let A be an n x n matrix, and let v, w ∈ ℂn.

Prove that Avw = v ⋅ Aw

Homework Equations

† = conjugate transpose
⋅ = dot product
* = conjugate
T = transpose

(AB)-1 = B-1A-1
(AB)-1 = BTAT
(AB)* = A*B*
A = (AT)*
Definitions of Unitary and Hermitian Matrices
Complex Mod
Vector Inner Product Space rules/axioms
Cancellation Theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

(Av)w = v ⋅ (Aw)
(Av)w = ((Aw) ⋅ v)*
(Av) ⋅ w = ((Aw)*) ⋅v*
(Av)w = ((A)*w*) ⋅v*
(Av) ⋅ w = (ATw*) ⋅v*

and that's as far as I get :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How is ##\mathbf{v}\cdot \mathbf{w}## defined? Can you write this as a matrix multiplication?

Write the LHS out as a double sum of matrix and vector components and rearrange until it is equal to the RHS.

There may be a quicker way but we can't really suggest anything without knowing what theorems you are allowed to use.

@micromass The LHS and RHS of the equations are defined by the vector dot product, I've made some changes in the original post in an attempt to clarify that.

@andrewkirk I've added more to the relevant equations sections to address what you said. There are probably a few more theorems but this is what I was able to pull off the top of my head.

Thank you!

What is the definition of the vector dot product?

Ismail Siddiqui said:
@andrewkirk I've added more to the relevant equations sections to address what you said. There are probably a few more theorems but this is what I was able to pull off the top of my head.
Those won't enable you to get a solution because none of them address the critical issue of what happens when you move an operator from the first part of an inner product to the second.
Write the equation out in component form. It's only a few lines to prove it that way, and no external theorems need to be used.

micromass said:
What is the definition of the vector dot product?

v ⋅ w = ∑ viwi where vi and wi are the ith entries of the vectors v and w and 1 ≤ i ≤ n where n is the last index.

Ismail Siddiqui said:
v ⋅ w = ∑ viwi where vi and wi are the ith entries of the vectors v and w and 1 ≤ i ≤ n where n is the last index.

That is not the definition of the dot product since you work in ##\mathbb{C}^n##.

If you do find the correct definition, are you able to write it as a matrix multiplication?

andrewkirk said:
Those won't enable you to get a solution because none of them address the critical issue of what happens when you move an operator from the first part of an inner product to the second.
Write the equation out in component form. It's only a few lines to prove it that way, and no external theorems need to be used.

I'll try it that way and see where I get, thanks.

Ismail Siddiqui said:
I'll try it that way and see where I get, thanks.
Make sure you use the correct definition of the inner product in a complex vector space, as per @micromass's post above. Otherwise it won't work out.

micromass said:
That is not the definition of the dot product since you work in ##\mathbb{C}^n##.

If you do find the correct definition, are you able to write it as a matrix multiplication?

oh boy, your absolutely right. I completely forgot to add on the complex conjugate. It should be ∑vi* wi.

@andrewkirk @micromass I wrote it out in component form and re-arranged it from there. Worked out perfectly.Thanks again!

1. What is the conjugate transpose of a matrix?

The conjugate transpose of a matrix is the result of taking the transpose of the matrix and then taking the complex conjugate of each entry. This means that the rows become columns and the real parts of any complex numbers are kept the same while the imaginary parts are multiplied by -1.

2. How is the conjugate transpose of a vector different from the regular transpose?

The conjugate transpose of a vector is different from the regular transpose because it only applies to complex vectors, whereas the regular transpose applies to both real and complex vectors. Additionally, the conjugate transpose of a vector results in a row vector, while the regular transpose results in a column vector.

3. What is the significance of taking the complex conjugate in the conjugate transpose?

The complex conjugate is taken in the conjugate transpose because it helps to maintain the properties of orthogonality and unitarity in complex vector spaces. It also helps to preserve the magnitude and phase of complex numbers, which is important in applications such as signal processing and quantum mechanics.

4. Can a matrix have a conjugate transpose if it only contains real numbers?

Yes, a matrix can have a conjugate transpose even if it only contains real numbers. In this case, the conjugate transpose is simply the regular transpose since the complex conjugate of real numbers is the same as the number itself. However, it is important to note that the concept of conjugate transpose only applies to complex matrices.

5. How is the conjugate transpose used in solving systems of linear equations?

The conjugate transpose can be used in solving systems of linear equations by transforming the system into an equivalent one with a lower triangular matrix. This makes it easier to solve the system using techniques such as back substitution. The conjugate transpose is also used in the conjugate gradient method, which is a popular iterative algorithm for solving systems of linear equations.