How do you apply coordinates in matrices to change basis?

In summary, The conversation is about a problem involving applying coordinates to matrices and finding a change of basis matrix. The original problem is unclear, but it seems to involve changing from one basis to another. The given matrices do not form a basis for the 4-dimensional space of 2x2 matrices, leading to confusion and a lack of understanding of the problem.
frasifrasi
Can anyone explain exactly how you are supposed to apply coodinates in matrices? I am somewhat lost in class.

For example say, i have the coordinates A =
1 2
0 2 --> this is a 2 X 2 matrix

and I have to apply this to the basis

B =
1 0
0 0,

0 1
0 0,

0 1
0 1

-> The book gives the following matrix as the answer:

1 0 0
0 1 1
0 0 1

- But I still don't get how they got here. Can anyone outline the process?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
No, I have no idea what you are talking about. (And I thought I knew a little about Linear Algebra!) I have never heard of "applying coordinates" to matrices, nor do I see how you are going from 2 by 2 matrices to a 3 by 3 matrix. Could you state the problem exactly as it is given?

I am sorry, this is supposed to be a change of basis problem. We are changing B to basis A.

Can you help?

we are trying to find the change of basis matrix.

From what basis to what basis? And what space? The matrices you list as a basis are NOT a basis for M4, because there are only 3 of them.

from B to A. Please help me. The question asks for the change of basis matrix.

No other info is given.

Please help me brothers.

Honestly, the problem, as you stated it, still makes no sense to me. You have given us 3 matrices which you say is a basis (of what space? The space of all 2 by 2 matrices is 4 dimensional so it can't have a basis of 3 matrices) and ask for a "change of basis matrix". What is the basis to change to?

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the manipulation and analysis of matrices and vectors to solve problems in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What are coordinates in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, coordinates refer to the set of numbers used to represent the location or position of a point or vector in a coordinate system. These numbers are usually written as an ordered list, with each number representing the distance along a specific axis.

3. How are coordinates used in linear algebra?

Coordinates are used in linear algebra to represent and manipulate geometric objects, such as points, lines, and planes, in a mathematical way. They also help in solving systems of linear equations and performing transformations on vectors and matrices.

4. What is the difference between Cartesian and polar coordinates in linear algebra?

Cartesian coordinates, also known as rectangular coordinates, use two or more perpendicular axes to represent a point or vector in space. Polar coordinates, on the other hand, use a radius and an angle to represent a point or vector in a circular or spherical space.

5. Why are coordinates important in linear algebra?

Coordinates are important in linear algebra as they allow us to represent and analyze complex geometric structures in a systematic way. They also provide a way to solve systems of linear equations, which are used to model real-world problems in various fields.