Linear Algebra: Determinant of a Matrix with Alternating Signs

In summary, the conversation is about finding the determinant of a matrix B, which is defined by the given formula. The hint suggests using the definition of determinant, which involves a sum over all permutations of {1,...,n}. Further clarification is given on the definition and how to approach the problem.
drosales
I'm having trouble with this problem on my homework

Let n be a positive integer and A=[ai,j] A is n*n. Let B=[Bi,j] B is n*n be the matrix defined by bi,j=(-1)i+j+1 for 1<i,j<n. Show that det(B)=(-1)ndet(A)

Hint: use the definition of determinant

I honestly have no idea how to go about this. I'm assuming it has something to do with elementary row operations and the sign of the determinant changing with each operation but am not quite sure how to get started. Any help would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
A good start would be to write down the definition of the determinant. Specifically, what does the definition say that ##\det B## is?

Did you mean ##b_{ij}=(-1)^{i+j+1}a_{ij}##?

Yes, that is what was meant. I didnt realize I didnt complete that

So what does "det B" mean for an arbitrary n×n matrix?

My understanding is that det(B) is the sum of the cofactor expansions multiplied by minor matrices

This is usually derived from a definition involving a sum over all permutations of {1,...,n}. I think that definition will be easier to work with.

Would you mind explaining it? I have it in my lecture notes but I have trouble following

1. What is a determinant?

A determinant is a numerical value that is calculated using the elements of a square matrix. It is used to determine certain properties of a matrix, such as whether it is invertible or singular.

2. How is a determinant calculated?

A determinant is calculated by using a specific formula that involves the elements of a matrix. The formula varies depending on the size of the matrix, but it typically involves multiplying and adding the elements in a specific pattern.

3. What is the importance of determinants in linear algebra?

Determinants are important in linear algebra because they provide information about the properties of a matrix, such as whether it is invertible or singular. They are also used to solve systems of linear equations and to calculate the area or volume of geometric shapes.

4. Can a determinant be negative?

Yes, a determinant can be negative. The sign of a determinant depends on the arrangement of the elements in the matrix and can be positive, negative, or zero.

5. What is the relationship between determinants and eigenvalues/eigenvectors?

There is a close relationship between determinants and eigenvalues/eigenvectors. The determinant of a matrix is equal to the product of its eigenvalues, and the eigenvectors of a matrix are the basis for calculating its determinant.