1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra, determinants, and transposes

1. Sep 10, 2005 #1

hgj

Okay, I need to prove that det(A^t) = det(A). I can see that it's true because I know columns and rows are interchangable (meaning you can use columns or rows when taking determinants), but I don't know how to prove this fact. Any help would be very appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2005 #2
    Well, a determinant of a matrix is the sum of the products of its diagonals minus the products of its antidiagonals. How do these products change under a transpose?

4. Sep 10, 2005 #3
    [tex]\det{A}=\sum_{i=1}^{m}\left(-1\right)^{i+j}a_{ij}\det{A_{ij}}[/tex]

Do you see what happens when you try to prove det(AT)=det(A) for 2x2 or 3x3 matrices? Use the definition.

Edit: To the above poster: Doesn't that definition only work for 3x3 matrices?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2005
  5. Sep 10, 2005 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

JoAuSc: that's only for 3x3 matrices.

apmcavoy: I don't believe that formula helps, at least not in a straightforward manner.

hgj: what are you using as the definition of a determinant? And have you yet proven that the determinant is multiplicative?

6. Sep 11, 2005 #5

hgj

If A is an nxn matrix, then
    detA = a11det(A11) - a21*det(A21) + ... + (-1)^(n+1)*an1*det(An1)
    (sorry, I don't know how to make things subscripts on this, so the 11, 21,...,n1 are supposed to be subscripts)

That's the definition we're using for a determinant.

7. Sep 11, 2005 #6
    Ok, that's the same thing I posted above. I suppose you could write it out like you did for both A and AT, and then rearrange and show they are equal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?