Linear Algebra & Discrete Math

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of two courses, Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences and Linear Algebra, for someone looking to major in physics. The individual is unsure if they should take Linear Algebra because they find the proofs in discrete math boring. However, it is mentioned that Linear Algebra is important for any field of science. The conversation also mentions the possibility of combining Linear Algebra and Differential Equations into one class. Ultimately, it is recommended that the individual take Linear Algebra as it is necessary for their physics department and for future studies in graduate school.
kuahji
From experienece, are these two courses really important to someone looking to major in physics? I've read the "So you want to be a physicist" guide, but if I work with the book Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences, will it be enough to make it through the upper level physics courses (as opposed to general physics)? I'm currently taking discrete math but I find the proofs extremely boring. Though I seem to do great with the applications in calc & calc based stats that I've taken. So I'm just curious as to if I should bother taking Linear Algebra if its just going to end up being more proofs. Also besides differential equations, are there any other math courses I should be looking to take that would be helpful down the line? I would eventually like to go to grad school as well, if that factors in at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
You definitely need to take Linear Algebra, and I'd be very surprised if your physics department left it as an option. (unless they combined linear alg. and diff. eq. into one class which a lot of big universities do)

Yeah, linear algebra is just so important for any field of science, whether it's engineering, physics or biology.

Linear algebra is a lot more important than discrete math. The only things from discrete math that I've ever needed in a physics derivation are basic logic and proof by induction.

discrete math is a class for computer scientists not physicists

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'm taking Linear Algebra then ^_^.

The thing is with discrete, it is a prereq for linear. I'm guessing because of having to write proofs. Otherwise it seems to be a total waste of time... mathematical induction was done back in pre-calc at my school.

Discrete a pre req for Linear? Is this the first linear course, or some higher course? I only needed some calculus (which I didn't even use) for LA.

What is Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that focuses on the study of linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the use of matrices, vectors, and systems of linear equations to solve problems in various fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science.

What is Discrete Math?

Discrete Math is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete structures, which are objects that are countable or can be broken down into smaller, distinct parts. It includes topics such as combinatorics, graph theory, and logic, and has applications in computer science, cryptography, and other fields.

What are the applications of Linear Algebra and Discrete Math?

Linear Algebra and Discrete Math have numerous applications in various fields such as engineering, computer science, physics, and economics. They are used to solve real-world problems involving optimization, data analysis, and modeling. They are also essential in developing algorithms for machine learning, image processing, and other computational tasks.

What are the key concepts in Linear Algebra?

Some key concepts in Linear Algebra include vector spaces, matrices, determinants, and eigenvalues and eigenvectors. Vector spaces are sets of objects that can be added and multiplied by scalars, while matrices are rectangular arrays of numbers that represent linear transformations. Determinants and eigenvectors are used to analyze the properties of matrices and solve systems of equations.

What are the key concepts in Discrete Math?

Some key concepts in Discrete Math include sets, functions, combinatorics, and graph theory. Sets are collections of objects, while functions are mathematical relationships between sets. Combinatorics is the study of counting and arranging objects, and graph theory is the study of networks and their properties.