Linear Algebra (distance from two nonparallel lines)

In summary, we can find the distance between two nonparallel lines by using the vector projection formula and finding a vector orthogonal to both lines.
dangish
Find the distance between the nonparallel lines,

L1:

|x| ...|4| ...|1|
|y| = |-1| + t|0|
|x| ...|3| ...|2|

and L2:

|x| ...|1| ...|-3|
|y| = |2| + s|1|
|x| ...|2| ...|-1|

picture the above as matricies, sorry i don't know how to properly make them :...(

Attempt at a solution:

The hint told me to find a vector orthogonal to both lines. so i took the normal vector of each line ( the three numbers after s and t ) and got a vector parallel to each.

The vector I used was v = |6,15,-3| <-- again picture this as a matricie.

The next part in the hint said take a plane with this normal containing one of the lines.

so I did and got, 6x +15y - 3z = d , then I subbed in a point from L2 to get,

6(1)+15(2)-3(2)=d ==> d=30

the equation of the plane is now 6x+15y-3z=30

The next part of the hint says "use a projection", and this is where I am stuck.

how will I project the line onto the plane? any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

To find the distance between two nonparallel lines, you can use the vector projection formula. Let's call the two lines L1 and L2, with equations:

L1: x = 4 + t, y = -1, z = 3t
L2: x = 1 + s, y = 2 + s, z = -1 + 2s

First, we need to find a vector that is orthogonal to both lines. This can be done by taking the cross product of the direction vectors of the two lines. So we have:

v = (1,0,3) x (1,1,2) = (-3, -1, 1)

Next, we need to choose a point on one of the lines to use as our base point. Let's use the point (4, -1, 0) on L1.

Now, we can use the vector projection formula to find the distance between the two lines:

distance = |(p - q) * v| / |v|

where p is a point on L1 (in this case, (4, -1, 0)), q is a point on L2 (in this case, (1, 2, -1)), and v is the vector we found earlier.

Substituting in the values, we get:

distance = |(4-1, -1-2, 0-(-1)) * (-3, -1, 1)| / |(-3, -1, 1)|
= |(3, -3, 1) * (-3, -1, 1)| / |(-3, -1, 1)|
= |-12 + 3 + 1| / |-3 + 1 + 1|
= 4 / 1
= 4

So the distance between L1 and L2 is 4 units.

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations, vectors, matrices, and their properties.

2. What is the distance between two nonparallel lines?

The distance between two nonparallel lines is the shortest distance between any two points on the two lines. It is also known as the perpendicular distance.

3. How do you calculate the distance between two nonparallel lines?

The distance between two nonparallel lines can be calculated by finding the shortest distance between any two points on the two lines. This can be done by using the formula d = |(ax + by + c)/√(a^2 + b^2)|, where a and b are the coefficients of the variables x and y in the equations of the two lines, and c is the constant term.

4. What is the significance of calculating the distance between two nonparallel lines?

The distance between two nonparallel lines is a measure of the closeness or similarity of the two lines. It is useful in various areas of mathematics and science, such as in finding the closest approximation of a curve to a set of data points, or in determining the similarity between two geometric figures.

5. Can the distance between two nonparallel lines be negative?

No, the distance between two nonparallel lines cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as distance is a measure of length and cannot be negative.