1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra Follow up

1. Feb 23, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hey, I posted another question yesterday, and thanks to the kindness and brilliance of hall of ivy, I was able to solve it. However when I apply the same logic to this new question I cannot seem to get it, can someone explain or show me how to do this question.

Consider the linear transformation T from
    V = P2
    to
    W = P2
    given by
    T(a0 + a1t + a2t^2) = (2a0 + 4a1 + 2a2) + (2a0 + 3a1 + 4a2)t + (−2a0 + 3a1 + 4a2)t^2
    Let F = (f1, f2, f3) be the ordered basis in P2 given by f1(t) = 1, f2(t) = 1 + t, f3(t) = 1 + t + t^2
    Find the coordinate matrix [T]FF
    of T relative to the ordered basis F used in both V and W, that is, fill in the blanks below: (Any entry that is a fraction should be entered as a proper fraction, i.e. as either x/y or -x/y where x and y are positive integers with no factors in common.)
    T(f1(t)) = _f1(t) + _f2(t) + _f3(t)
    T(f2(t)) = _f1(t) + _f2(t) + _f3(t)
    T(f3(t)) = f1(t) + f2(t) + f3(t)
    and therefore :
    [T]FF
    = the matrix created by the coefficients of the answers above

2. Relevant equations
    Basis equation.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried doing what I did for the previous question. Since f1(t) = 1. It is 1 + 0t + 0t^2 = 1. So when I plugged in this to the T(a0 + a1t + a2t^2) I got 2 + 2t - 2t^2 for the coefficients of the first matrix. However when I enter this answer in, it is wrong except for the -2 coefficient for t^2. I have no idea why. I think it has something to do with how f2(t) is 1 + t, and how f2(t) is 1 + t + t^2. Could someone please help me on this?

Thank you for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This is not the "first matrix." This is ##T(f_1)##, the first column of a matrix representation of T. Now calculate ##T(f_2)## and ##T(f_3)##, which will be, respectively, the 2nd and 3rd columns of your matrix.

This matrix won't be the answer, as those three column vectors are in terms of the standard basis ({1, t, t2}), not the basis of this problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted