Linear Algebra for a Physicist

In summary, the speaker has been using the book 'Linear Algebra' by Georgi E. Shilov for learning math in relation to physics, but has found it difficult to organize their learning. They have looked at systems of linear equations and Cramer's rules, but are struggling with topics such as solving homogeneous sets of equations and eigenvalues of matrices. They are wondering what the best topics to cover would be, and if the method of SINGULAR VALUE DECOMPOSITION would be sufficient. They want to be able to formulate matrices and solve simultaneous equations efficiently, and also prepare for a course in quantum mechanics.
loonychune
I've been working from a book called 'Linear Algebra' by Georgi E. Shilov and while it is nice to take the more hardcore-mathematical approach, I just don't have the time (nor think it necessary) to get what I need from such a book for physics.

So what I've done so far is looked at systems of linear equations (N equations and N unknowns) and Cramer's rules (which is a nice method for such equations).

However, I'm finding it difficult trying to organise some sort of textbook learning for everything... Riley,Hobson, Bence's book seems to cover lots in detail then side-steps the question of solving homogeneous sets of equations and M x N equations by introducing the method of SINGULAR VALUE DECOMPOSITION and Mary Boas is really too brief in covering things like eigenvalues of hermitian and anti-hermitian matrices, and probably actually too brief in her coverage of eigenvectors/values full-stop.

At risk of going on for too long, let me ask: what would be the best topics to cover?

Would the SVD method be pretty much sufficient, since if i cover the entire chapter in RHB's book, i'll get a good look at things like vector subspaces also?

At the end of the day I have to be able to formulate matrices and solve sets of simultaneous equations and could spend far too long in theory and not actually earn that ability! (course whatever extra could be useful for this year's coming course in quantum mechanics but at the same time this project has come out of me wanting to cover things I've skimmed through in the past)

Damian

Physics news on Phys.org
Linear algebra will help you solve problems faster. Knowing how to find eigenvalues is nice when solving PDE's. This will help you out tremendously. Taking determinants of a matrix comes in hand too when finding cross-products of complicated vectors.

As a physicist, linear algebra is a crucial tool for understanding and solving problems in the field. It is great that you are taking the time to study it in depth, but it is important to also prioritize and focus on the topics that are most relevant to your work in physics.

From your description, it seems like you have already covered some important basics such as systems of linear equations and Cramer's rule. These are fundamental concepts that are applicable in various areas of physics, so it is important to have a good understanding of them.

In terms of further topics to cover, I would recommend focusing on vector spaces, matrices, and eigenvalues/eigenvectors. These concepts are essential for understanding and solving problems in quantum mechanics, as well as many other areas of physics. The SVD method is also a useful tool to know, as it can help with solving systems of equations and understanding vector subspaces.

Additionally, it may be helpful to look into applications of linear algebra in physics, such as in quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and statistical mechanics. This will give you a better understanding of how these concepts are used in real-world problems.

Overall, I would suggest prioritizing the topics that are most relevant to your current and future work in physics. It is important to have a solid understanding of the fundamentals before delving into more advanced topics. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is the relevance of linear algebra in physics?

Linear algebra is a fundamental mathematical tool that is used extensively in physics. It helps in describing physical systems and their behaviors, such as motion, forces, and energy. Linear algebra is also used in solving equations and analyzing data in various subfields of physics, including quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics.

2. How does linear algebra relate to vectors and matrices?

Vectors and matrices are essential concepts in linear algebra. A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction, and it can be represented as a column or row matrix. Matrices, on the other hand, are rectangular arrays of numbers that are used to perform operations on vectors, such as addition, multiplication, and transformation.

3. Why is the concept of linear independence important in linear algebra for physicists?

Linear independence is a crucial concept in linear algebra that describes the relationship between vectors. In physics, it is used to determine whether a set of vectors can form a basis or not, which is essential in describing the dimensionality of a physical system. It also helps in solving systems of equations and finding the most efficient way to represent physical quantities.

4. How is linear algebra used in solving problems in quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior and interactions of subatomic particles. It heavily relies on the principles of linear algebra to represent physical quantities and describe the evolution of quantum systems over time. Linear algebra is used in solving the Schrödinger equation, which is the fundamental equation of quantum mechanics.

5. Can linear algebra be used in other areas of physics besides quantum mechanics?

Yes, linear algebra can be used in various other areas of physics, such as classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. It is also used in fields like fluid mechanics, statistical mechanics, and general relativity. Many physical phenomena can be described and analyzed using linear algebra, making it a versatile and powerful tool in physics.