Linear algebra, free variables

In summary, when you have the system of equations in row reduced echelon form, the leading variable is the variable that is not in the second row, and the other variables are assigned arbitrary constants.
skwey
This is not a homework question. But a question on how to understand what my textbook does.

It is about choosing the free variables.

Let's say I have the system of equations:

x1-2x2+3x3+2x4+x5 =10
x3 +2x5=-3
x4 -4x5=7

Then my book says that we choose x2 and x5 to be free variables, since they are not leading. And we set
x2=t and x4=s and solve the system.

But why do we have to choose x2 and x5 just because they are not leading? I mean, Can't I say x2=t and x5=s instead of x4?

Physics news on Phys.org
skwey said:
But why do we have to choose x2 and x5 just because they are not leading? I mean, Can't I say x2=t and x5=s instead of x4?

As I understand the definition of "leading variable" you must have the matrix representing the system in row reduced echelon form before you can say which variables are "leading". When the matrix is in that form it is simplest to represent the general form of the solution by assign the non-leading variables to be arbitrary constants. As well as being simple, it is safe.

It's true that you often may be able to represent the general form of the solution by assigning arbitrary constants to some of the non-leading variables. But suppose you have the underdetermined system of equations:

x1 + x2 + x3 = 1
x2 = 0

You can't get the general form by assiging x2 to be an arbitrary constant.. Perhaps you can think of more complicated examples where the equations force some of the variables to have specific numerical values and leave the rest undetermined. It might not be obvious when you first look at the system of equations which variables are determined. So you aren't guaranteed that you can assign the variables of your choice arbitrary values.

Last edited:
Thanks!

And that was a good example!

What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the use of matrices, vectors, and linear transformations to solve problems related to systems of linear equations.

What are free variables in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, free variables are variables that can take on any value in a particular system of linear equations. They are also known as non-pivot variables, and their values are not dependent on other variables in the system.

How do free variables affect the solutions of a system of linear equations?

Free variables do not affect the existence of solutions in a system of linear equations, but they do affect the number of solutions. The number of free variables determines the dimension of the solution space, which can be infinite, one, or zero.

Can a system of linear equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of linear equations can have more than one solution. This happens when there are free variables in the system. The solutions will form a solution space with a dimension equal to the number of free variables.

How is Gaussian elimination used to solve systems of linear equations with free variables?

Gaussian elimination is a method used to solve systems of linear equations by transforming them into an equivalent system with a row-echelon form. This method is used to identify and eliminate free variables, making it easier to find the solutions to the system of equations.