1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra Help

1. Feb 13, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

the question states: Find the coefficients of the fourth degree polynomial:
    p(x) = ax^4 + bx^3 + cx^2 + dx + e whose graph goes through the points (0,0), (1,1), (-1,3) and whose slope at x=-1 is 20 and x=1 is 9.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

i started by putting it into an augmented matrix, and solving...
    my matrix was:

0 0 0 0 1 | 0
    1 1 1 1 1 | 1
    1 -1 1 -1 1 | 3

when i solved for the coefficients, i got a = 0, b = -1, c = 2, d = 0, and e = 0.
    i'm not sure how to incorporate the information given by the slopes.

i know that you can take the derivative to find slope.. and i took the derivative of the polynomial and got:

4ax^3 + 3bx^2 + 2cx + d

but i'm not really sure where to go from there. do i plug in -1 for x and set it equal to 20 and 1 for x and set it equal to 9? if i do that i get the equations:

-4a + 3b - 2c + d = 20 and
    4a + 3b + 2c + d = 9

by now i think i'm starting to make things up though! :wink:
    can anyone offer any hints? thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2007 #2

radou

Homework Helper

Yes, you do. I didn't check your calculations, but the next step is obviously to solve a system of equations.

4. Feb 13, 2007 #3
    i set up a system of equations for those two equations and with only 2 equations and 4 variables i was unsure of how to proceed. i ended up with the matrix:

-4 3 -2 1 | 20
    0 6 0 2 | 29

i'm just confused as to how the two steps are connected... like the first time i solved for the coefficients and this time. can i combine my results somehow?

5. Feb 13, 2007 #4

radou

Homework Helper

I don't follow. Did you set up a system of 5 equations with 5 unknowns? Did you try to solve it?

6. Feb 13, 2007 #5
    ok, i think i got it now. i didnt think i could set up all 5 equations before because the first set of equations had 5 variables and the second set of equations had 4. i put a zero as a place holder though, and solved this matrix:

0 0 0 0 1 | 0
    1 1 1 1 1 | 1
    1 -1 1 -1 1 | 3
    -4 3 -2 1 0 |20
    4 3 2 1 0 |9

i think i'm good from here. thanks for your help!

7. Feb 13, 2007 #6

radou

Homework Helper

The matrix looks okay.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?