Solving Linear Algebra Homework: T(e^5x), T(3e^4x), etc.

In summary, we are given a linear transformation T and we need to determine the value of certain inputs based on the given data. We can use scalar multiplication and vector addition to work out (c) and (d), and the values are determined when they can be written as a linear combination of 1, exp(2x), and exp(3x).
andrassy

Homework Statement

Let F be the vector space of all functions mapping R into R and let T: F -> F be a linear transformation such that T(e^2x) = x^2, T(e^3x) = sinx, and T(1) = cos5x. Find the following, if it is determined by the data.

a. T(e^5x)
b. T(3e^4x)
c. T(3 + 5e^3x)
c. T((e^4x + 2e^5x)/e^2x)

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that a linear transformation preserves vector addition and scalar multiplication. To get e^5x, I need to multiply e^2x and e^3x. Would this be scalar multiplication? I figured it would not be because they are vectors in this circumstance. The other problems are similar. Can I multiply them? if so, why?

Physics news on Phys.org
I see no attempt on your part to solve these problems. Do you want us to do them for you so you can trick your teacher into not actually teachin g you how to do them and then failing the test?

HallsofIvy said:
I see no attempt on your part to solve these problems. Do you want us to do them for you so you can trick your teacher into not actually teachin g you how to do them and then failing the test?
Wow well clearly I don't understand the concept involved. I tried to say what I knew/understood. I don't want anyone to do the problems for me I just want a hint or some help how to start so I can at least attempt the problem

Using scalar multiplication and vector addition alone, you should at least be able to work out (c) and (d).

The exercise is not to calculate them all.
"Find the following, if it is determined by the data." i.e.
So when you have to answer when are they determined by data?
The answer is that they are determined when they can be written as a linear combination of
[tex]1, exp(2x), exp(3x)[/tex]
If that is the case you can use the linerarity of T.

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the manipulation and analysis of linear equations and their solutions.

2. How do I solve linear algebra homework problems?

To solve linear algebra homework problems, you need to understand the basic concepts and techniques of linear algebra, such as solving systems of linear equations, matrix operations, and vector spaces. You can also use calculators or computer software to help you with calculations.

3. What is the importance of linear algebra in science?

Linear algebra is a fundamental tool in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It helps in solving complex problems, modeling real-world scenarios, and understanding abstract concepts in these fields.

4. How do I approach solving linear algebra homework problems?

The best approach to solving linear algebra homework problems is to break them down into smaller, manageable steps. Start by identifying the given information and what you are trying to find. Then, use the relevant concepts and techniques to solve the problem systematically.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving linear algebra problems?

To improve your skills in solving linear algebra problems, it is important to practice regularly and seek help when needed. You can also read textbooks, watch online tutorials, and work on challenging problems to further develop your understanding and skills in linear algebra.