1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LINEAR ALGEBRA help!

1. Sep 10, 2008 #1
    LINEAR ALGEBRA... URGENT... help!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve the System...

[1,0,0,-7,8] That is a 3x5 matrix.
    [0,1,0,3,2,]
    [0,0,1,1,-5]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I dont know why this is so hard to me, ive literally tried for about 2 hours to solve this. Calc 1-4 came naturally to me, but this is giving me so much trouble. Id be more happy right now with someone telling me the best way to approach these problems than a hint at this specific answer. Whenever i try to eliminate one variable, another one comes into the row and i am stuck with 2 variables, so i cant solve for any of the variables... please someone give me some advice on the best way to solve these... im dying over here

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: LINEAR ALGEBRA... URGENT... help!

If you have 5 variables and 3 equations you will definitely be left with at least 2 undetermined variables. There's nothing you can do about that. The answer will have to be expressed in terms of those two variables, i.e. x=s+t, y=s-t, z=2t, s=s and t=t.

4. Sep 10, 2008 #3

Actually, 4 variables, i forgot to put the line before the last row, so i assume you can solve for 4 unknowns with only 3 equations? and if so, finally, THANK YOU DICK! this problem has been killing me for the past 2 hours, i knew something was up with it... thank you for verifying it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Sep 10, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4 unknowns with 3 equations leaves you with at least one undetermined value. Looking at your equations I can tell you it's exactly one. If you are getting two, that might be a problem.

6. Sep 10, 2008 #5

Wow, this is embarassing haha. That is how i originally did the problem and got the correct equations... when i went to the back of the book to check i saw a matrix with actual numbers in it... i was looking at chapter 1.1 not 1.2 (which we are currently on) so i assumed my answers were wrong... when i went back and looked at 1.2, i was right from the get go... well anyway, thanks once again dick for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?