1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra help

1. Nov 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Explain why, if A is an n by n matrix,

and [1, . . . , 1] is a 1 by n matrix, then [1, . . . , 1]A will be a 1 by n matrix whose ith entry equals the sum of the entries in the ith column of A. Then use this idea to do the following problem.

1)Let P be an nxn probability matrix and let Z be an nx1 matrix. Prove that the sum of the entries in PZ is the same as that of the entries in Z.

2)Prove that the product of two probability matrices is a probability matrix.

3)Let P be an nxn probability matrix and let X=[1,1,...,1]t be the nx1 matrix, all whose entries are 1. What is P^tX?(Try some examples if you are not sure.) How does it follow that det(Pt - I)=0 ?How does it follow that det(P-I)=0 how does this relate to proving theorem 3?

4)Prove that for any 2x2 probability matrix P the vector Y=[1,-1]t is an eigenvector. Then prove theorem 3 in the 2x2 case.

2. Relevant equations
    {Theorem 3; let P be a probability matrix with no entries equal to 0. Then there is a unique probability vector X such that PX=X. If D is any probability vector, then (lim->∞ PnD=X)}

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know where to go with this all I know is an arbitrary 2-by-2 probability matrix will have the form [[a,b],[1-a,1-b]]

Note that Theorem 3 applies to most but not all probability matrices (so the assumptions about a and b have to be modified when proving Theorem 3). Note also that I need to prove not just that an equilibrium vector exists, but that it is unique. When proving the final claim in Theorem 3 (Pn V0 → X as n → ∞),

I believe it suffices to assume that the sum of the entries in V0 equals 1; the condition that those entries be non-negative shouldn’t get used in the proof.

This is all so confusing to me, I think I can handle this if I was given a direction to go. Could someone give me a hint as to how to handle this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

ok, so what is your definition of a probabilty matrix, something about rows and/or columns with non-negative entries summing to one?

1) should follow from row/column properties of the probabilty matrix, starting in subscript notation (nx1 vectors are represented by only one index)

[tex] (PZ)_{i} = \sum_j P_{ij} Z_{j} [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook