1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra - Hermitian matrices

1. Oct 16, 2005 #1
    Sorry if this is in the wrong section. I just want to check my answer since I've been going through the exam.

Given that A is an n × n matrix and I is the n × n identity matrix, select all the correct responses below.
    A Every diagonalisable matrix is normal.
    B If A is Hermitian, then [tex]A^TA[/tex] is also Hermitian.
    C If all eigenvalues of A have algebraic multiplicity 1, then it is diagonalisable.
    D If A is Hermitian, then A + I is always invertible.
    E If B = A*A, then B is Hermitian.
    F None of the above

I know that A is wrong because it is only every unitarily diagonalisable matrix that is normal. I think B is correct because if it is Hermitian it means that A is equal to the complex conjugate of the transpose. So really A is a symmetric matrix and [tex]A^T=A=A^*[/tex]. Not too sure about C in the end. I think D is wrong because the Hermitian matrix doesn't have to be invertible to begin with. E is also wrong because you don't know enough information about the matrix B to make that statement. Obviously the selection then can't be "none of the above".

I think I might have them right, but I would like to check. ALthough I don't actually know about C so if someone could explain that to me I'd be grateful.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, A need not be symmetric. Where did you get that from ? It doesn't say anywhere that A is real.

PS : You are correct that choice A (all diag matrices are normal) is wrong.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2005
  4. Oct 16, 2005 #3
    Oh I just thought that any matrix where [tex]A^T=A[/tex] is called a symmetric matrix.

5. Oct 16, 2005 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's right, but where is that given in the question ?

6. Oct 16, 2005 #5
    Ahh wait yeah I'm an idiot...I just took something out of the statement that wasn't there. It doesn't equal just A transpose. It's only the complex conjugate of the transpose. OK so B is actually wrong as well.

7. Oct 16, 2005 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For the ones you think are wrong, have you tried coming up with a counterexample?

8. Oct 18, 2005 #7
    haha thanks for that. I just tried some examples for E and found that it was true. Also found a proof in the notes that C was true so that was good. So yeah I found that C and E are the actual answers (I'm pretty damn sure about this)...can't believe how off my answers were at the beginning.

Thanks again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?