1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra homework

1. Nov 13, 2005 #1
    I'm really stuck with my homework - it seems to be easy, but...
    So the first one:
    Find the most natural bijection between these two sets:
    [tex](X \times Y)^Z , X^Z \times Y^Z [/tex]

The second thing I'm stuck with:
    Proof for arbitrary [tex]f: X \rightarrow Y , g: Y \rightarrow Z[/tex] and sets:
    [tex]A \subseteq X , B \subseteq Z[/tex] :
    [tex](g \circ f)^{-1} (B) = f^{-1}(g^{-1}(B))[/tex]

And the last one:
    Let [tex]f: X \rightarrow Y [/tex] be an arbitrary function. Proof that for every [tex]A,B \subseteq X ; C,D \subseteq Y[/tex]:
    a) [tex]C \subseteq D \Rightarrow f^{-1}(C) \subseteq f^{-1}(D)[/tex]
    b) [tex]f(f^{-1}(C)) \subseteq C[/tex]
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Each of those looks to me to be reasonably straight forward. What have you done so far? What are the relevant definitions?
  4. Nov 13, 2005 #3
    Well in the first one I don't really know what kind of answer they are expecting.

I found out that the second one is really easy.

In the third one I don't understand why there is inclusion instead of equality (because an inverse function exist only when the original function is bijective, therefore in b) there should be equality I think)
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2005
  5. Nov 14, 2005 #4
    can anyone help me at least with the first one?
    Please :frown:
  6. Nov 14, 2005 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For (1):

If someone said "Please write down a bijection [itex](X \times Y)^Z \rightarrow X^Z \times Y^Z [/itex]", what bijection would you write down? That is almost certainly the one they're asking for.

For (2):

For any binary relation [itex]f[/itex] (in particular, a function is a binary relation), the relation [itex]f^{-1}[/itex] is defined. (But is not usually a function)

Recall that for any binary relation R on (S, T), we can define, for [itex]A \subseteq S[/itex]:

R(A) := \{ t \in T \, | \, \exists s \in A: s \, R \, t \}

(The notation for this isn't really standard -- for example, I would really prefer to write it as [itex]A \cdot R[/itex], maybe without the dot)

For a function [itex]f : S \rightarrow T[/itex], recall that [itex]f[/itex] is merely a binary relation on (S, T). Thus, we obtain the direct image of a subset A of S:

f(A) = \{ t \in T \, | \, \exists s \in A : f(s) = t \}

or, more simply,

f(A) = \{ f(a) \, | \, a \in A \}

The inverse relation just does things in the opposite order. [itex]t \, R^{-1} \, s[/itex] if and only if [itex]s \, R \, t[/itex]. For [itex]f[/itex], Plugging into the definition, we obtain the inverse image of a subset B of T:

f^{-1}(B) = \{ s \in S \, | \, \exists t \in B : t \, f^{-1} \, s \}
    = \cdots = \{ s \in S \, | \, f(s) \in B \}
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?