Linear Algebra hw help #2

In summary, to show that {V1--Vn} form an orthonormal basis of R^n for the inner product <v,w>= (v^T)Kw for K>0 if and only if (A^T)KA=I where A={v1,v2---vn}, you can expand and manipulate the equations to prove that when multiplying ATK by A, it produces the identity matrix. This is achieved by substituting i=j, which equals 1, and i not equal to j, which equals 0.
blue2004STi

Homework Statement

Show that {V1--Vn} form an orthonormal basis of R^n for the inner product
<v,w>= (v^T)Kw for K>0(positive definite) if and only if (A^T)KA=I where A={v1,v2---vn}

Homework Equations

I don't know what to do in terms of do I write it out using actual matrices or are there some simple properties that I should use like inverse or transposes? Am I missing something?

The Attempt at a Solution

(v^T)Kw=0 for K>0 iff (A^T)KA=I <v,w>=(v^T)Kw=0 and ||v||=||w||=1

[v1--vn][-k1-][v1] = [v1--vn][-k1*v-] = v^2(k1+k2+ --- +kn) = I
[-k2-][v2] [-k2*v-]
[ | ][ | ] [ | ]
[-kn-][vn] [-kn*v-]

-k1-, -k2-, -kn- are the rows of K
v1, vn, are the elements of V

--- represents through (ie. v1--vn means 'V' one through 'V' 'N')

||*|| represents the norm(any norm)

(v^T)Kw represents the quadratic form of the inner product

I tried doing it by expanding but I don't know where to go from here. I thought about using the inverse rules to get somewhere but I don't think that'll help. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let K=[k1 | k2 | ... | kn]. The (i,j)th entry of ATK is viT kj. Now what happens when we multiply ATK by A?

It becomes (v^T)Kv which when the "subs" i & j for i=j it equals 1 and for i not equal to j it equals 0. Which produces the identity. THANKS

Matt

Correct me if I'm wrong.

1. What is Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations, vectors, and matrices. It is used to solve systems of linear equations and to represent and manipulate data in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

2. Why is Linear Algebra important?

Linear Algebra is important because it provides a powerful framework for solving complex problems in various fields. It is also the foundation for advanced mathematical topics such as Multivariate Calculus and Differential Equations. Additionally, it has many practical applications in real-world scenarios such as data analysis, image processing, and machine learning.

3. What are the main components of Linear Algebra?

The main components of Linear Algebra include vectors, matrices, and linear transformations. Vectors represent quantities with both magnitude and direction, while matrices are rectangular arrays of numbers used to represent linear transformations. Linear transformations are functions that map one vector space to another in a linear fashion.

4. How is Linear Algebra used in data analysis?

Linear Algebra plays a crucial role in data analysis as it provides the tools for data manipulation and modeling. It is used to perform operations such as data normalization, dimensionality reduction, and regression analysis. It also forms the basis for machine learning algorithms such as linear regression, principal component analysis, and support vector machines.

5. What are some real-world applications of Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra has many real-world applications, including computer graphics, cryptography, and signal processing. It is also used in navigation systems, robotics, and financial modeling. Additionally, it is used in the analysis of networks and in quantum mechanics. Overall, the applications of Linear Algebra are vast and diverse, making it a fundamental tool for many fields.