1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra hw help

1. Nov 6, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that any basis of R^n is an orthonormal basis with respect to some inner product. Is the inner product uniquely determined?

2. Relevant equations
    I am not sure where to begin. Should I just define an arbitrary basis for a arbitrary R^n? I mean I think I understand the question about the inner product being uniquely determined but I am not sure where to begin.

3. The attempt at a solution
    See above.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2007 #2
    How do you define inner products in R^n? A familiar question: how and when do symmetric matrices induce inner products on R^n?

Uniquely determined means that there is no other inner product that has those properties. That is, given a basis there is only one inner product that makes the basis an orthonormal set. If you don't know what I meant by symmetric matrices you can just play around with scaling inner products by positive reals.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  4. Nov 6, 2007 #3
    Do you mean in (x^T)Kx or in notation <x,x> or in formula? I'm not going to lie I'm a bit confused with what you're asking.

5. Nov 6, 2007 #4
    Do you mean by bilinearity, symmetry, and positivity?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?