1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra I Proof (HW Help)

1. Oct 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So the question is, Prove the following:

Let A be an n x n matrix. If there exists a vector v in Rn that is not a linear
    combination of the columns of A, then at least one column of A is not a pivot column.

2. Relevant equations

The only relevant theorem I think is the invertible matrix theorem, which i attached.
    I also attached theorem 4 (book has different names)

3. The attempt at a solution

So far, I started with

- Let A be a n x n matrix and v be a vector in Rn that is not a linear combination of the columns of A
    - then there is not a pivot position in every row of rref A (theorem 8 not g to not c)
    - then there is at most n-1 pivot positions (out of n rows)
    - then at least one column of rref A is not a pivot position (square matrix).

the question i have is, am i allowed to jump from my first sentence to my second sentence without any justification?

For some reason, I am thinking that I'm supposed to go from (theorem 4 not b to not a)
    and then, since theorem 4a is equivalent to theorem 8g, then jump from (theorem 8 not g to not c). But am i allowed to use and jump from theorem 4 to theorem 8? since theorem 4 is for a m x n matrix, while theorem 8 is n x n matrix?

Also, in theorem 4 there's a statement " each b in Rm is a linear combination of the columns of A", which is the assumption i started with. What would be the equivalent statement in theorem 8, if there is any?

Sorry, this is probably a basic proof question, but I'm just horrible at proving something, so I wanted to make sure I was on the right path.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2012 #2
    What about span?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook