Linear Algebra I Proof (HW Help)

In summary, the conversation discusses proving a statement related to linear combinations and pivot columns in a matrix. The relevant theorem is the invertible matrix theorem, and there is also a related theorem 4. The solution begins by assuming a vector v in Rn that is not a linear combination of the columns of A, and then concludes that at least one column of rref A is not a pivot position. The question raises concerns about jumping from one theorem to another without justification, and also discusses the role of linear combinations in the two theorems. The summary does not mention anything about span.
Cali210

Homework Statement

So the question is, Prove the following:

Let A be an n x n matrix. If there exists a vector v in Rn that is not a linear
combination of the columns of A, then at least one column of A is not a pivot column.

Homework Equations

The only relevant theorem I think is the invertible matrix theorem, which i attached.
I also attached theorem 4 (book has different names)

The Attempt at a Solution

So far, I started with

- Let A be a n x n matrix and v be a vector in Rn that is not a linear combination of the columns of A
- then there is not a pivot position in every row of rref A (theorem 8 not g to not c)
- then there is at most n-1 pivot positions (out of n rows)
- then at least one column of rref A is not a pivot position (square matrix).

the question i have is, am i allowed to jump from my first sentence to my second sentence without any justification?

For some reason, I am thinking that I'm supposed to go from (theorem 4 not b to not a)
and then, since theorem 4a is equivalent to theorem 8g, then jump from (theorem 8 not g to not c). But am i allowed to use and jump from theorem 4 to theorem 8? since theorem 4 is for a m x n matrix, while theorem 8 is n x n matrix?

Also, in theorem 4 there's a statement " each b in Rm is a linear combination of the columns of A", which is the assumption i started with. What would be the equivalent statement in theorem 8, if there is any?

Sorry, this is probably a basic proof question, but I'm just horrible at proving something, so I wanted to make sure I was on the right path.

Attachments

• 103thm2.8.jpg
    103thm2.8.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 410
  • 103thm1.4.4.jpg
    103thm1.4.4.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 412
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What about span?

1. What is Linear Algebra I Proof and why is it important?

Linear Algebra I Proof is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector spaces and linear transformations. It is important because it provides a foundation for many fields of science and engineering, including physics, computer science, and economics.

2. What are the key concepts in Linear Algebra I Proof?

The key concepts in Linear Algebra I Proof include vector spaces, linear transformations, matrices, determinants, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and systems of linear equations. These concepts are used to solve problems involving linear systems and transformations.

3. How is Linear Algebra I Proof used in real-world applications?

Linear Algebra I Proof is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as image processing, data compression, and machine learning. It is also used in engineering and physics to solve problems involving systems of linear equations and to model physical systems.

4. What are some common techniques used in Linear Algebra I Proof?

Some common techniques used in Linear Algebra I Proof include Gaussian elimination, diagonalization, and eigenvalue decomposition. These techniques are used to simplify and solve linear equations and systems, and to analyze the properties of matrices and transformations.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Linear Algebra I Proof?

To improve your understanding of Linear Algebra I Proof, it is important to practice solving problems and working through proofs. You can also read textbooks and watch online lectures to gain a deeper understanding of the key concepts and techniques. It is also helpful to work with a study group or seek help from a tutor if needed.