1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra) If A is similar to inverse of A, must all the eigenvalues equal 1?

1. Aug 2, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If A is similar to A^(-1) (=inverse of A), must all the eigenvalues equal 1 or -1?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know why the textbook gives me the specific value 1 or -1.
    If A is similar to its inverse, are the eigenvalues really 1 or -1? Why? Help!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2011 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Linear Algebra) If A is similar to inverse of A, must all the eigenvalues equal 1

Yes, the eigenvalues will be 1 or -1.

First, if A and B are similar matrices, what can you say about their eigenvalues?

Second, if [itex]\lambda[/itex] is an eigenvalue of A, what number must be an eigenvalue of A^(-1)?

4. Aug 2, 2011 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Linear Algebra) If A is similar to inverse of A, must all the eigenvalues equal 1

Suppose the eigenvalues are say, 2 and 1/2?

5. Aug 2, 2011 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oops, you're right.

6. Aug 2, 2011 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sanglee, I think the 1 and -1 are just to lead you into giving a wrong answer by thinking too quickly. It's true if A is a 1x1 matrix. Just think of a 2x2 matrix that is similar to its inverse without the diagonal entries being 1 or -1. Diagonal matrices will do.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  7. Aug 2, 2011 #6

Oh~~~~~~~~I got it!!! it's really simple question, but I thought it was complicated. hehe

So, A and inverse of A are similar, so their eigenvalues are same.
    if one of A's eigenvalues is n, a eigenvalues of its inverse will be 1/n.
    But the two matrices are similar, so n=1/n
    Then, n^2=1, so n=1or-1

Is it right?
    Thanks guys!

8. Aug 3, 2011 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The two eigenvalues don't have to be equal. That's the mistake jbunniii made and the one the poser of the problem assumed you might make. Look at post #3.

9. Aug 3, 2011 #8

Oh, i understand it now :) Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook