1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra Inverse mxn

1. Oct 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove in general that if m does not equal n, then AB and BA cannot both be identity matrices, where A is mxn and B is nxm.

2. Relevant equations
    None (that I know of at least).

3. The attempt at a solution
    At first I thought it would be a good idea to define each element in A and B and write out some elements from AB and BA, and hope that I noticed a pattern where I would see something possible only if n=m. This proved very cumbersome and I could not get it to go anywhere.

Next I tried assuming that both AB and BA equaled identity matrices of appropriate dimensions, with the intention of deriving a contradiction, but I was unfortunately unavle to do so.

I appreciate any help, as I really don't know what to try next.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2012 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Think about what the equations AB = I and BA = I imply, in terms of injectivity and surjectivity of the linear maps represented by A and B.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook