Linear algebra- Inverse of a linear mapping

• Thread starter manuel325
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Let L: V →V be a linear mapping such that L^2+2L+I=0, show that L is invertible (I is the identity mapping)
I have no idea how to solve this problem or how to start,I mean this problem is different from the ones I solved before, the answer is "The inverse of L is -L-2 "
If someone please can explain to me how to solve this ,would be great :cool:. Thanks in advance .

Answers and Replies

Hint: ##I=-L^2-2L##.

hmm ,that doesn't tell me anything :confused:

Factor out ##L## in the right hand side.
hmm ok you mean I=L(-L-2) but can you operate with L^2 like it was a number?? , isn't L^2 =L°L ?? I'm confused:confused:

Very good remark!!

The answer you can operate with it like it was a number, but that's perhaps not obvious.
The property I'm using here is that

[tex]A\circ (B + C) = A\circ B + A\circ C[/tex]

and

[tex]A\circ (\alpha B) = \alpha (A\circ B)[/tex]

These properties are true, but it requires a separate proof.

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Those properties are, in fact, the definition of "linear transformation". That's all the proof you need.

Those properties are, in fact, the definition of "linear transformation". That's all the proof you need.

I wouldn't say it's the definition. It still requires a proof.

ok , I see .Thank you very much :smile:

Hmm I guess there's something that's still not clear for me , the first property of composition you wrote works for three linear mappings right?, but in this case we have two linear mappings and a number :L°(-L-2) I know I'm wrong somewhere but I don't know where ,I'm confused :confused: .Any help would be appreciated.

STEMucator
Homework Helper
Hint: ##I=-L^2-2L##.

Micro stated this here, you should be able to see that :

##I = L(-L-2)##

Then multiplying both sides by ##L^{-1}## on the left yields :

##L^{-1}I = L^{-1}L(-L-2)##
##L^{-1} = -(L+2)##

##I = L(-L-2)##

##L^{-1}I = L^{-1}L(-L-2)##
##L^{-1} = -(L+2)##
Ok so ##L^{-1}I = L^{-1}L(-L-2)## yields ##I \circ (-L-2)=-L-2## right ?? . Thanks

##I = L(-L-2)##

No, you cannot do that. You are proving here that ##L^{-1}## exists, so you cannot assume it exists in the proof!

No, you cannot do that. You are proving here that ##L^{-1}## exists, so you cannot assume it exists in the proof!

You are right !:smile: could you explain please why ## L\circ(-L-2)=-L^{2}-2L## ?? if "2" was a linear mapping then the properties would work for this, right? but 2 is a scalar.

##-L - 2## is wrong to begin with. You cannot add (or subtract) numbers from linear maps. The correct expression is ##-L - 2I##.

If there exist such an inverse map, what property does it have i.e. what can you tell about the multiplication of L and [itex]L^{-1}[/itex] ? Or the same question, what is the definition of the inverse map?

Last edited:
##-L - 2## is wrong to begin with. You cannot add (or subtract) numbers from linear maps. The correct expression is ##-L - 2I##.

It makes sense now ,thanks .